Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on a scan tool for my 1986 turbo z. The service manual says ATM tester c-4805, I cannot find one online. I did find an OTC 2000 scan tool with a Chrysler cartridge. Any recommendations or advice on what to purchase?

·
Registered
666 Posts
The OTC should work. I have a OTC 4000e that I use for my cars. Only issue is it does not seem to like the MP Stage II logic module in my 87 GLHS as it gives me codes when key damce shows no codes. But works great on my 89 CSX.

I.will be honest, I do need.to spend ore time reading the manuals and trying to better understand mine.

I think money well spent.

·
Administrator
26,073 Posts
The OTC Monitor 2000 will work fine on your 86, just remember that data on the earlier cars is limited due to the simplicity of the engine controllers used, however, IIRC, Actuator Tests for the Coil. Injectors, ASD Relay, Minimum Airflow, etc. should be available.
It was not until 89 when things got better/easier as far as data was concerned.
Also, remember that data is not live, the Baud Rate for data transfer is 1.25 seconds.
I have a book at home explaining the evolution of Chrysler engine controllers and data retrieval, if you would like that info I can get it for you Monday.

Reactions: panzer

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Some others you may want to look into:

Reactions: panzer

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Plus, 1987 Lbodys use 1986 electronics so must be entered as a 1986.

Thanks
Randy

The OTC should work. I have a OTC 4000e that I use for my cars. Only issue is it does not seem to like the MP Stage II logic module in my 87 GLHS as it gives me codes when key damce shows no codes. But works great on my 89 CSX.

I.will be honest, I do need.to spend ore time reading the manuals and trying to better understand mine.

I think money well spent.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Plus, 1987 Lbodys use 1986 electronics so must be entered as a 1986.

Thanks
Randy
Thank you Randy. I will try that out.

I just assumed the OTC was looking for the factory LM and I am running a MP Stage II LM.

Do you know if the MP should throw codes or read just like stock? Also, how is the 87 GLHS viewed by a scanner? T1 engine or T2?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Sorry, all I know is 1987 Lbodys only use 1986 Electronics.

This caused havoc back in the early days of scanning.

Please let us know what you learn.

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Thank you Randy. I will try that out.

I just assumed the OTC was looking for the factory LM and I am running a MP Stage II LM.

Do you know if the MP should throw codes or read just like stock? Also, how is the 87 GLHS viewed by a scanner? T1 engine or T2?
FWIW, all my 86 GLHS' and 87 CSX/Lancer/Shelby Z MP modules read fine with a DRB II.Only when I went to custom cals and 3 bars did things get out of sorts. Seems like I kept hearing lots of people coming up with code 42 on S-60 harnesses though. On the code 42 cars, car would run fine, just throw that code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking for information on a scan tool for my 1986 turbo z. The service manual says ATM tester c-4805, I cannot find one online. I did find an OTC 2000 scan tool with a Chrysler cartridge. Any recommendations or advice on what to purchase?
If you are just looking for the code that is generated, you do not need a scan tool. Just turn the ignition switch on and off three times quickly and count the flashes of the Power Limited light. There is a longer pause that indicates the end of the first number and the start of the second number. 55 indicates (5 flashes pause 5 flashes) the end of the stored codes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It should be a routine to check for codes with the key dance.. If there are no trouble codes, the car sends you the "end of message" 55, what I call the "Double High Five" (slap your hands in the air) and it feels good to know that the car is alright. Some trouble codes do not illuminate the Check Engine Light, so it is a good habit to check the codes once in a while, even if you think the car is running good, there may be a code lurking in the data.

·
Administrator
26,073 Posts
I think the OP may be looking to retrieve data and use the actuator tests which can only be done with a scan tool, you can also have sensor readings that are out of specs but do not meet the criteria for setting a code.

·
Legendary Driver
11,015 Posts
Get the 4000e, the screen is bigger and allows you to see knock on all 4 cylinders simultaneously where the 2000 does not.

As far as the key dance vs a scanner. Yep it works great till you have a 2006 Magnum and the key dance says there are no codes but the scanner says misfire on cylinder 6 out of 8. Need to get my turbo Dodge finished with all their mods so I can drive them again. 34city/40+highway mpg got me through the gas prices of the late 2000's but driving a hemi in the 20's is killing me at 16.5 city/21 highway

·
Registered
171 Posts
Need to get my turbo Dodge finished with all their mods so I can drive them again. 34city/40+highway mpg got me through the gas prices of the late 2000's but driving a hemi in the 20's is killing me at 16.5 city/21 highway
Funny, I get maybe 16 on the highway with my Duster and am working on swapping a G3 into it to try and improve that number (besides the added power).

Glad to see you still kicking around. I'd message you but it appears I have lost all my privileges?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts