Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in Woodbridge, NJ, on the top floor of a building which is well over 100 years old and is very close to part of Staten Island. Today an oil barge which was offloading in Staten Island exploded. Windows rattled, ceiling tiles were displaced, and years of crud sifted down from above. my first thought was that the roof had collapsed from the weight of all the snow. Then I looked out of my window and saw a huge plume of fire and thick black smoke rising for hundreds of feet out to the west and thought that something really bad had happened in New York -again!

When the smoke started heading our way, we decided to evacuate two of our elementary schools which were in its path because at that time, the smoke was thought to be potentially toxic. Luckily, we've got our own fleet of busses which accomplished the job quickly and safely. Thankfully, it turned out to be just a cloud of smelly smoke and at last count, there was one death, one missing and possibly dead, and one injury - all on the barge or the dock near the barge. It could have been much worse. From the looks of the fire, and the size of the smoke plume, we were figuring hundreds or even thousands of casualties at first!

Damn, that'll wake you up on a Friday morning!!

8*

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yikes! 8o
definatly glad it wasn't a lot worse. That would have scared me *big* time.
my condolances to those lives lost in that accident though, as well as in the chicago night club and the other night club incident where 90 some odd unfortunatly had to loose their lives. :\ :(

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
OMG...that would scared me too... I'm gald nothing worse happend. Not that this isn't bad. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts