Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm fixing to put a new exhaust on my 1991 LeBaron. I have a Dynomax Super Turbo on it right now, and I don't like the sound. It lets out a harsh, raspy, whistle-y shriek at high revs, and rumbles and pops on the overrun and at low revs. I love the low end and overrun sound, but the top end is just too harsh. I don't like that at all. I want a smooth rumbly sound all the way from the bottom to the top. Suggestions? Questions? Comments? Please, feel free to spout your opinions and experiences. I can use all the help I can get. Thanks so much! ~Baron91

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You're not going to get that low-frequency rumble sound at high rpm no matter what. Even big v8s lose that over like 4000 rpm.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
what motor?

If you had a 2.5 turbo, I'd say throw a Bigger garrett on it and put 3" with a magnaflow muffler on it. It'll be deep tone all the way through the rev range for the most part. The guys at the dyno said my 3" straight pipe side exit sounded great. The magnaflow just keeps the deep tones and quiets it down a bunch.

Smaller exhaust will sound higher pitched and more crackly. the 2.5" straight pipe would deafen you with it's loud cracks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm running a Magnaflow straight through Turbo muffler, Sounds amazing at all rpms, Even at 7000rpm lol. Doesn't sound like a tin can cheapo Honda, doesn't sounds like you just cut the muffler off. It's loud enough that it screams performance lol but not loud enough you can't hear yourself think. I'm running one on my Daily driver and it doesn't affect the driving quality at all, at least not negatively. I would suggest this muffler to anyone.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
"Magnaflow straight through Turbo muffler"

I would have to say this is the best muffler that I have found for my turbo cars. Never sounds like a bee farting into a tin can. It sounds even better if you put a 12 or 18" resonator in place of the cat. I've tried it w/o the resonator and it was too much for my older ear, my teenage ear would have loved it...but with the resonator, it brought it down to a point where it was great to me. It also passed smog inspection since the tech thought it looked like a cat under there.

+1 on the Magnaflow straight through 'turbo' muffler. It's the straight through design that's best for a turbo. The offset style is indeed quieter but will give you added back pressure.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
His car is a 3.0 V6, not a turbo. It's a very different animal when it comes to exhaust. For starters, there's no turbo in the upstream taking some of the energy out of the exhaust pulse first. You get all the buzzing and popping and thrumming.

In general, it's difficult to keep that semi-open exhaust note in the low end without putting up with the different harmonics that occur in the high speed range. A turbo muffler may still be the way to go. I've heard of people suggesting them on a 3 liter before. Alternately, a friend of mine years ago cut his muffler off and left the factory resonator and the cat with the stock exhaust size. It was loud and droned a bit at 70, but it wasn't buzzy until you got up over 4K. Was alright for driving around town.

Honestly, being a convertible and all, you want to kill as much of that drone as you can. It'll drive you crazy hearing it all the time. You may end up losing your low speed off-throttle, but I would definitely want a muffler of some sort on that. Or... you could always throw a turbo on it. Best. Muffler. Ever. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't expect it not to lose the low frequency burble at the top, but I don't want it to be so harsh and raspy. I let my brother drive it the other day and he thought a belt was squealing under the hood! That's not a good sign, haha.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
that's why I said "what motor" in post #3 :)
:thumb: I was more responding to the folks who were only talking turbo stuff.

I don't expect it not to lose the low frequency burble at the top, but I don't want it to be so harsh and raspy. I let my brother drive it the other day and he thought a belt was squealing under the hood! That's not a good sign, haha.
It should not sound like a squealing belt ever... :confused:
Maybe you have a pinhole leak or something in the stream causing a whistle effect?

I've heard various exhaust setups on a 3.0 from performance to stock to hoopty with the mufflers rusted off. It can get raspy and annoying at highway speeds without a muffler, but it's not ever really that high-pitched.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
heres a magnaflow straight through on a 2.5 turbo...sorry its from inside the cab but I think you can tell its not fart-canny...it does sound pretty cool though IMO and has plenty of burble and popping and what not

there is a TON of drone at high speed decel on the freeway though, but I have the rear interior removed..I've gotten used to it anyway so I dont car

https://vid.me/SfLf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been crazy busy since I posted this, and haven't done anything so far. However, I do have a recording of my car with the current exhaust setup, at idle. Everything is warmed up after a spirited drive, so this is as true to how he actually sounds as I can get.

https://soundcloud.com/thunder-birdthang/baron

Even if I've not responded to each of you personally, I've read every one of your suggestions and comments with great interest, and I thank you for your feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts