Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Selector cable

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
1989 Daytona Shelby.. I could not get the shifter to go into 5th gear so I finally took it to a transmission repair and he said that the shifter cable is bent and won't allow
enough throw to put it in 5th gear so it needs to be replaced..I CAN'T FIND ONE !! Any ideas on this ?

#4 ·
Selector Cable - 4504304 - 53.00"
Crossover Cable - 4443497 - 47.48"
They fit 89 J/G Body only.

Your other options are...
1)Open a thread in the "Parts Wanted" section.
2)This is a looooooong shot but I have found parts this way when and after I worked for Chrysler.
Call or go to your local dealer, give them the part # for the cable and ask them if they can run a "Parts Locator" for you.
This will show any dealer in the country that may have one sitting on the shelf.
If there is one ask for the dealers name and phone # and call them to verify it is there and how much for the cable and shipping.

#6 ·
The transmission shop just called to inform me that the idiot that used to own this car put a 4 speed shifter in it and that is what is stopping it from going into 5th gear... the mechanic said that any Chrysler 5 speed should fit but what I need to know is do I need the shifter from the floor up or just the topside ??

#7 ·
AFAIK and I am not 100% sure but the shifters are not all the same, I think reverse is in a different spot.
I think the 89 is over to the left and up while my 90 is over to the right and down.
According to the Chrysler Parts Catalog the shifter part # an 89 G/J Body is...
Up to 4/17/89 - 4446870
After 4/17/89 - 4471148

88 and 90 are different part #'s, differences???

I would open a new thread in the "Parts Wanted" section and possibly another thread in the "Help" section to try to find out what the differences are year to year.

#8 ·
It is indeed tough to determine what PO has done to your car. You may not have the original MTX in the car.
Best way is to look at the circular label on top of the transmission. It should be stamped A-555 6/88 or similar.
Here is a good reference Drivetrain:Manual Transmission Guide
Here is what I would expect to be on an 89 Shelby Z

A555 - 5spd - 87 to 89

Utilizing the same upgraded case design as the 520, the 555 was the king of its day. The diff was a 4pinion enclosed carrier type, and the gearset for the 87 run was manufactured for Chrysler by Getrag of Germany. It used a much stronger gearset, accomplished by using larger and a lesser number of teeth at less of a pitch. A side effect was a lower numerical gear ratio on all gears, although 5th was a minor change (520 - .72 vs 555 - .71) To offset these lower gears a 3.87 final drive ratio was used vs the 3.50 in the 520. In 1989 a running change was made to the gearset design, incorporating the new 1/2 synchro assembly that would be used in the 90+ 523/568. As a result of this, mainshafts, 1st gear, 2nd gear, and the 1/2 synchro assembly do not interchange with the 87-88 design. However the case, input shaft, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3/4 synchro and 5th synchro interchange across all three years.

#10 ·
Just a follow up.. took the car to a transmission shop that was familiar with the 89' Daytona and determined that the bracket that holds the selector cable was bent and therefore restricting it from going into 5th gear.. they straightened it and the car shifts perfectly... I want to thank EVERYONE for there assistance in trying to solve this problem..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.