Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im curious how some of you think about my setup, as it was a similiar setup to what was in my SL, and that thing pulled very hard up top and managaed to pull dead even with a 3000gt vr4 and occasionally manage a 3rd gear pull on the mitsu:thumb:
So Im curious as to what it should do in a lighter better geared car.

The car
87 Shelby CSX
89 CB 2.5 with 287 G head
Port matched manifolds
STock T2 Garrett Turbo
T2 IC/Rad Combo
52 MM TB
MP stage 2 LM(Mopar performance not FWD)
Open exhaust dumped out the side by rear tire
523 Trans.

And an occasional couple gallons of 100/105 octane

Thoughts/Ideas on power levels / 1/4 times?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
GO RUN IT! :thumb: :D And unless your set up for it, race gas will not make you any more power unless your knocking.

·
Banned
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mp stage 2's factory setting.
I have been told by a few mopar guys, and guys who worked at mopar when these cars was new, That the stage 2 computer alone on a stock T2 knocked off 6 tenths in the quarter average, And gained 30-35 HP and 55 Tq, And I have no reason to doubt them as I have both known them for many years and have seen their collection of mopars old and new as well as seen the difference in a t2 with just a MP stage 2 computer...Its huge...
And I dont believe thats totally true corey, same with 87 versus 91 octane you will make more power on the 91 over the 87 so logic would be that you would gain with 100 over 91 substantially because the fuel is burning more efficiently, therefore causing the car 2 make more power(granted not like a huge amount but a gain nonetheless) And SLCC auto class did run a fuel comp test awhile back and it showed a difference between fuels, And besides I have ran a side by side comparison with 100 octane versus 91 in my lebaron, I raced ryan in his jetta with the 3.0 baron convertible dead stock with 91 and split a pair, but ran again a week later nothing changed but 100 octane in the tank and beat him easily, The car felt much much stronger...SO yeah but I figure the setup I have while make around 220ish hp and Alot more TQ from what people say about the G head on a 2.5 CB T2 car... But will the factory mopar stage 2 comp be fine for awhile or should I get a FWD cal for the 2.5 with the above changes made and will that make any more power over the mopar cal?

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
so this is basically a stock-ish 2.5 TII running 14.5 psi ; open exhaust ; a 2.2. TII was a 174 Hp so guesstimating 220ish sounds about right ; and of course the Tq should be quite a bit higher also (what were the mexican 2.5 TII cars rated at?, they didnt run cats... but I dont know what boost they ran)

the 2.5 *should* be given a different spark advance curve (than a 2.2), so switching to a custom cal should be an improvement ; I think you wouldnt notice much in the WOT peak power level, but should see an improvement in part-throttle driveability and throttle respionse, maybe a little better spool too

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree with banshee on the octane. Unless you retune for the race gas, it's not going to help you much.

There are improvements to be had with race gas. You can run higher boost and advance the timing without seeing detonation.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
the mp stage 2's factory setting.
I have been told by a few mopar guys, and guys who worked at mopar when these cars was new, That the stage 2 computer alone on a stock T2 knocked off 6 tenths in the quarter average, And gained 30-35 HP and 55 Tq, And I have no reason to doubt them as I have both known them for many years and have seen their collection of mopars old and new as well as seen the difference in a t2 with just a MP stage 2 computer...Its huge...
And I dont believe thats totally true corey, same with 87 versus 91 octane you will make more power on the 91 over the 87 so logic would be that you would gain with 100 over 91 substantially because the fuel is burning more efficiently, therefore causing the car 2 make more power(granted not like a huge amount but a gain nonetheless) And SLCC auto class did run a fuel comp test awhile back and it showed a difference between fuels, And besides I have ran a side by side comparison with 100 octane versus 91 in my lebaron, I raced ryan in his jetta with the 3.0 baron convertible dead stock with 91 and split a pair, but ran again a week later nothing changed but 100 octane in the tank and beat him easily, The car felt much much stronger...SO yeah but I figure the setup I have while make around 220ish hp and Alot more TQ from what people say about the G head on a 2.5 CB T2 car... But will the factory mopar stage 2 comp be fine for awhile or should I get a FWD cal for the 2.5 with the above changes made and will that make any more power over the mopar cal?
Devin, The point of race gas is its basically harder to ignite, therefore you can run more timing/boost/No2 whatever. The reason you feel a difference between 87 and 91 is because the car is meant to run on 91. If the car is running how it should, you will get the max advance the computer is set for. So, unless your adding enough boost to cause knock at that point, race gas will do nothing. It may even hurt performance becuase its harder to ignite. When you raced Ryan a week later, the barometic pressure could have been differnet, or the humidity. How can you say nothing was different? The setup on the car may have been the same, but you know utah has some crappy air, and on some days, super crappy. In fact, I will make you this bet. We can take one of the cars out, put my g meter in it. And with 91 octane do 3 pulls. I will buy some torco fuel additive, which will bring it close to 100, and we will do the same 3 pulls. How much do you want to bet, they are not any faster? But, the car has to be proven to not be pulling timing for some reason in the first place. We can verify it with my scanner. Sound good?
It does sound like a good setup, but the only way to answer your question is to run it. I would think, the FWD cal would be better, they have had feedback in order to make it better.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
^^This guy knows his stuff, octane only reduces detonation and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a higher octane have a lower BTU as well? So if you aren't knocking on 91 you are probably a little slower on race gas...

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
I tap like mad with 93 in the lebaron. It does have a lot better power range and revs real easy but 93+ and i have a lot of upper end noise

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
+1 on race gas.
no need for it at 14 psi.
easy to prove at the track or better yet at a dyno.
The car should run good.
Dynos are only tuning tools. They can vary from day to day. Not to mention they dont totally get the same load as on the road/track, so they make a few less psi. Trap speeds do not lie. One of the fairly local tracks is open, and rmr will be open soon. He just needs to run it. :thumb: And I agree it should do well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
yeah, higher octane=burns slower and colder. high compression motors/boosted motors create a lot of heat, so do low octane fuels, why mix the 2?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
yeah, higher octane=burns slower and colder. high compression motors/boosted motors create a lot of heat, so do low octane fuels, why mix the 2?
So you can make really expensive ash trays! :eek: lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
^yeah hahaha, true.

"race gas" definition-my cars gonna haul ass.

(NO) maybe if you mess with timing/boost you will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts