Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moin, Moin,
My shadow failed the official tecnical check-up. The check-up is needed to be passed every two years to get the car street legal in germany.
There were several small reasons, but one thing are the backrest of the seats.

The engineer claims, that the front seats are broken. The reason for his claim: The backrest of the seat can be flipped to the front an a maybe 15° angle from the adjusted position, and back without pushing a bottom.
Additional he was wondering if I have the right seats. Because my seats have no easy entry funktion. I need to use the seat adjuster to let people use the backseats.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a normal funktion of the backrest?
2. Could it be that I have the wrong seats?
3. If it is the seat of maybe a sedan, which seats will fit and work in the shadow? LeBaron?
Because finding shadow parts in germany is like the needle in a haystack.

Thanks Mike

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Moin, Moin,
My shadow failed the official tecnical check-up. The check-up is needed to be passed every two years to get the car street legal in germany.
There were several small reasons, but one thing are the backrest of the seats.

The engineer claims, that the front seats are broken. The reason for his claim: The backrest of the seat can be flipped to the front an a maybe 15° angle from the adjusted position, and back without pushing a bottom.
Additional he was wondering if I have the right seats. Because my seats have no easy entry funktion. I need to use the seat adjuster to let people use the backseats.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a normal funktion of the backrest?
2. Could it be that I have the wrong seats?
3. If it is the seat of maybe a sedan, which seats will fit and work in the shadow? LeBaron?
Because finding shadow parts in germany is like the needle in a haystack.

Thanks Mike
In Europe they check seats wtf?

Anyways my 88 Reliant seat back wobbles same and I traced it to a plastic bushing.

Here's what it's doing.

It's annoying to drive since the seat is reclined only on the right side so I'm always slouching so one of these days I'll take the seat out and replace the bushing with probably metal.

Also the seat should fold forward if it's a 2 door car. there's a mechanism on the left inside the seat you can probably fix that while you're changing the Bushing.

Only 4 bolts and 5 minutes of work to pull the seat.

I forgot how the shadow seats worked. I think you had to pull the lever. haven't had one in a decade. This was my 94 2 door Shadow seats for reference.
Car Vehicle Steering part Car seat cover Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Steering part Motor vehicle Window

Car got crushed by a sewer pipe RIP.

Edit Just saw this 93 Duster on FB Facebook

looks like there is a lever to pull up to flip the seat.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

· Registered
283 Posts
Both my '86 Daytona and '89 Sundance have about 10 degrees of forward movement without using the release handle. They've always had this small amount of "give" with regard to forward motion. Both left and right seats do this, so not sure I have four sets of bushings which suddenly went bad.

In fact, in order to use the seatback-mounted release - as illustrated on the Duster above - I have to sightly push the seats forward and then lift the handle.

I'd say the relatively little bit of play is normal. Has been for me, anyway.

· Administrator
26,360 Posts
That is normal, went through the same thing years ago in New Jersey.
The seats in our cars lock on momentum/inertia changes, they are not locked at rest.
Here is the description of the seat mechanism from my owners manual, this is what I showed the inspectors when they questioned the seat operation.
Font Line Parallel Watercraft Illustration

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moin, Moin,

Pictures, there you can see the big difference:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Seat belt

You have no idea!
It is not Europe, it is Germany. They even check your wiperblades...
But remember our speed limits!

I have the same problem like in the video. Only more movement.

Ok, than my seats are broken. The driver seat does not have handle, only a hole were the handle should be. Passanger seat has a handle on the backrest, but there is no function. It is only flapping around.

Than I have to see were I can get spares. :rolleyes:

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Mike, I have no idea how to help you, but for anyone that is curious.....

FYI, just to show what the TIF inspections are like, crew at Jalopnik took a Chrysler minivan through....enjoy

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. This kind of inspection we have every two years. And in the video the testing crew is quite nice. They do not check tough. In the video you can see that the guy drives straight, but the steering wheel was not in center... that is not allowed too.

Rear drum breaks are always killing... mine too. But american simplex brakes are easy to fix. I love it.
German duplex drum break adjustment drive you nuts.

Does daytona or lebaron seats fits into a shadow?

· Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
1,027 Posts
That is normal, went through the same thing years ago in New Jersey.
The seats in our cars lock on momentum/inertia changes, they are not locked at rest.
Here is the description of the seat mechanism from my owners manual, this is what I showed the inspectors when they questioned the seat operation.
View attachment 283299
Never knew this as I just assumed that all the seats I had were broken, that’s 4 two door shadows and 1 Daytona.

· Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
1,027 Posts
Right. This kind of inspection we have every two years. And in the video the testing crew is quite nice. They do not check tough. In the video you can see that the guy drives straight, but the steering wheel was not in center... that is not allowed too.

Rear drum breaks are always killing... mine too. But american simplex brakes are easy to fix. I love it.
German duplex drum break adjustment drive you nuts.

Does daytona or lebaron seats fits into a shadow?
Your seats are most likely not broken besides the lever your missing which should be a non issue, Naj posted the explanation of how they are supposed to work. Just print that picture off he posted and take it with you to the inspection station, or look in the owners manual if you have one because it’s likely in there too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts