Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some idea on how to get the black guides into the rear window track.
Everything else is in place, but they won't pop in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went through this a few years ago with my Sundance. On my car, the guides were simply worn out, with nothing left of the "lips" that hold the guides in the rear track. It was a quick fix to replace the guides (did both windows). If the guides are good, you need only a moderate amount of steady force to pop them into their channel.

I don't know your car's year, but for my 1989 the Mopar part you probably need is 4339372. I bought an aftermarket set on eBay that was just like this:

Remove the old guide(s), fold these over the glass edge, and set the new rivet(s). Because this is on glass, you would need a small rivet setter. I bought one at Michael's or Hobby Lobby for a few bucks. Same tool women use to set rivets on jeans.

~Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Inside the weatherstripping (the part is actually called the Front Door Glass Run) there is a metal channel. This is what the window guides pop into and are then retained. Here's an eBay ad for an NOS piece for a 4-door Shadow. If you look closely at some of the pics you can see the channel inside.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine has metal runs in it, but I don't feel a lip.
To be clear, the plastic guides have lips on the rear side (you'll see this when you get the new ones and fold them in half). These lips pop into the channel with a bit of gentle persuasion. See installation step #4 that NAJ posted above. Once you set it up it'll be pretty obvious how it works.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what your saying. I just haven't been able to feel any lip for them to snap behind. Also my current plastic pieces don't seem worn much if at all.
Is the place they snap behind able to be lost, or is it the actual metal channel the rubber channel is in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cannot imagine the channels would be lost (they're riveted to the rubber) or even wear out. Once the window guides are pressed into place, there should be zero stress on them. Here are a few pics of the runs on my Sundance - one from a foot away and one close-up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured it out. At some point a rivet in the window channel had been replaced with a round headed screw. The screw head was hitting the window retainer when the window was just about fully rolled up and causing it to pop out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts