Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the threads for my wiper problem, but could not find anyone with the same issue I am seeing.... So I apologize if this has already been addressed.

My 89 Shadow wipers work fine in intermittent, low, and high. My problem is that when I turn them off they sit about 6" up off the bottom of the windshield (assume the intermittent rest location. Once they are parked I can take the wiper knob and quickly turn it on and off and the wipers will then stop at the base of the windshield. I cannot relocate the arms on the wiper post as it will then run off the bottom of the windshield if I hit the on/off real quick.

Since they work in all positions I assume there is nothing wrong with the switch, relays, or intermittent system and to me it points to the motor and something do with a switch in the motor telling it where to park and not rest. How do I tell if its the motor or something else?

And is motor part number 4389131 the correct motor number for and 89 Shadow?

TIA

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The linkage is probably clocked wrong on the wiper motor itself
You would think, but if you turn them off it parks at the intermittent rest spot. I can then take thebon off switch and hit it real.quick and then it goes down to the park position. If it were clocked differently then with my quick on off that would take them down off the window or intermittent rest would be like halfway up the window.

I think I will try running a seperate case ground and see what happens. FSM says bad motor.

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
953 Posts
You need to look at the motor, the linkage on the motor should do complete revolutions. This is set first then you set your arm positions. Park and intermittent should be the same unless the vehicle has hidden wipers that drop down out of sight.
Is park and intermittent stopping at the same spot?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It stops about 6" above the bottom.of the glass. Turn it on and it goes down to the bottom.of the glass then back up. Or if it stops 6", then a quick on/-off takes it to the bottom.

FSM states.park and rest are.two different locations. It stops at rest unless I trick it.

LInkage can only go on the motor correctly or 180 degrees out as the crank only has two flat sides to it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
When did the issue start? Did the wipers get jammed or frozen at some time?
I’m not going to tell it’s not the motor but before you go hunting for a replacement, I would check the arm that bolts to the motor
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car

Automotive exterior Bumper Graphite Gas Carbon

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel

This is my 92 shadow in the park position, note the arm position, sorry for the bad pics. To clock unbolt arm off motor, turn motor on then off, wait for it to go to park, then reinstall arm in position in pictures above.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are the wipers parking and intermittent function stopping at the same spot? And is this always the same spot each time they are turned on and off.

·
Administrator
26,125 Posts
Diagnostics for "Wipers Will Not Park Properly" are at the bottom of page 8K-12 and continues on page 8K-13.

Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document
Book Font Publication Newsprint Parallel
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Pattern
Book Font Music Material property Handwriting

·
Administrator
26,125 Posts
There were two different motors used for an 89 P Body.
4467259 - Up to 10/3/88
4389131 - After 10/3/88

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
953 Posts
Diagnostics for "Wipers Will Not Park Properly" are at the bottom of page 8K-12 and continues on page 8K-13.
Is there a procedure in the manual for clocking the wiper linkage? This needs to be done when changing the motor or it won’t ever work properly.

·
Administrator
26,125 Posts
I have never had that issue and nothing about "clocking the linkage" is mentioned in the remove/install instructions, they want you to remove the motor and linkage as an assembly and work on it on the bench.
Font Parallel Illustration Paper Design

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have never had that issue and nothing about "clocking the linkage" is mentioned in the remove/install instructions, they want you to remove the motor and linkage as an assembly and work on it on the bench.
Interesting, I guess the fsm doesn’t have all the answers then. I’ve changed many wiper motors from cars to dump trucks and this is a common practice.

·
Administrator
26,125 Posts
In 40 years of being a service tech I never had to "clock" the linkage except on GM vehicles that had the wipers that moved in opposite directions where the wipers intersected at the center of the windshield.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the wipers parking and intermittent function stopping at the same spot? And is this always the same spot each time they are turned on and off.
I believe yes same spot, but again if I turn it on and off really quick the wipers go DOWN even further to the proper parked position.

As for clocking of the mechanism, this motor only has two ways to go on, correct or 180 out hence why the FSM does not address it

·
Registered
953 Posts
I believe yes same spot, but again if I turn it on and off really quick the wipers go DOWN even further to the proper parked position.

As for clocking of the mechanism, this motor only has two ways to go on, correct or 180 out hence why the FSM does not address it
Good stuff it’s a keyed not splined motor, well if that’s the case it’s most likely the motor.
Good luck

·
Registered
953 Posts
In 40 years of being a service tech I never had to "clock" the linkage except on GM vehicles that had the wipers that moved in opposite directions where the wipers intersected at the center of the windshield.
Maybe it’s a European thing with splined wiper motor shafts, I know Volvo trucks and JCB equipment are this way, I thought the last Ford I worked on was too, arm comes loose and you don’t tighten it back up in the right spot your park position is all screwed up but the wipers work fine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I repaved the wiper motor, and all good now. Not sure if there is actually supposed to be an intermittent rest spot and a parking spot like my old motor did, but the new motor both parks and rest at the base of the windshield.

I really wanted to take the wiper arm mounting post apart, clean them up, and re-lube them, along with replacing all the plastic linkage bushings ( I have a bag of like 30 bushing, just need to move some stuff around so I can get to them.) Looks like a couple jobs for another day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
IHave you everr wondered how it works? nside the motor are two electrical circuit connections to the wiper. One connectuon is a copper strip which is continuous, and the second copper circuit is the parking circuit. When one turns off the wiper at the switch, power continues to flow to the second copper circuit, and that circuit has a section where there is no copper and that is what parks the wipers. It is obviously at the wrong spot, but it should be possible to rotate the wheel inside the motor to the correct spot and then re-mount the wiper motor on the car. This is a good time to mention that there is a grounding strap that often becomes corroded and causes the wiper to stall out. I use a dedicated ground wire to the mounting bolts of the wiper motor from the battery ground, or where the ground wire fastens to the cylinder head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts