Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put #956 back on the road after a good 8 years of storage.
I did put stabil in the tank but it's been a long time.
The tank is probably almost empty now so I'm sure there's a varnish build up
My question is: Assuming the tank is empty and there's varnish built up on the bottom of the tank.
Is there a product that I can add to clean it out?
I'll be dropping the tank & removing the pump/arm/sock assembly to do this.
Are there any plastic items in the tank that could be damaged by cleaning?

Jim

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A gallon or two of Xylene will de-varnish it real quick. Guys have been using Xylene as an octane booster for years, but the downside was it de-varnshed the fuel system so fast it clogged filters and injectors, lol If the tanks coming down wash it out with Xylene, rinse it out with gas and you should be good. As far as any items in the tank, nothing I can think of but maybe someone who's played with L-Body tanks more than I have will chime in, lol

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A gallon or two of Xylene will de-varnish it real quick. Guys have been using Xylene as an octane booster for years, but the downside was it de-varnshed the fuel system so fast it clogged filters and injectors, lol If the tanks coming down wash it out with Xylene, rinse it out with gas and you should be good. As far as any items in the tank, nothing I can think of but maybe someone who's played with L-Body tanks more than I have will chime in, lol
Thanks!
This is really great news.
Someone told me a long time ago that there was a plastic float in the tank.
But I always thought that the float was part of the arm/sock that attached to the pump motor.
Others told me to just buy a new tank.
I new there had to be a better way of doing this.

Thanks again.
Much appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Tanks arent all that expensive, I am getting a new one for my Omni, it's only about $80 through Rockauto.com . the float is attached to the sending unit, it will all come out as one assembly. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
after sitting 8 years mostly empty I'd expect the non wet parts of the tank to be rusty inside

for 80 bucks I'd play it safe from the grt go and just buy a new tank
then you know for sure everything is good 'cause you pulled it out and put it all back into the new tank

I'll add ny spectra premium tank came with new straps and the gaskets & lock rings for the pump / sender

the filler neck ring can still be had from cryco

only challenge is the rubber for the roll over vavle on top of the tank - if you can't save your's

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
in the old days we filled the tank with gravel and shook it to take off rust, then a wash out and go. Today a new tank is tooooooo cheap to do this

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Note that a turbo tank is different from a carb car tank. The turbo/EFI tank has a small inner 'pool' for the pump sock and float to rest in. This is to keep the pump from starving from fuel on turns and steep hills. If you use a carb tank on a turbo car you will need to keep it 1/2 full or more all the time or expect it to run out of gas on sharp turns or stops.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone.
Lots of good info given.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts