Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I changed my Cam belt, everything is new including the Cam Belt Tensioner.

As you can, my Cam belt it running on the edge and it has started to damage itself.

What impacts controls the position of the belt? Could this be a problem with
the new Cam Belt tensioner ? I could put the old one back in, but seems odd.

Best Regards, Philip

Shelby lancer Cam belt 20210717_153203.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
The timing belt tension controls controls the position of the belt. Too tight the belt rides on the outside edge. Too loose the belt rides on the inside edge (engine side) of the pulley.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The timing belt tension controls controls the position of the belt. Too tight the belt rides on the outside edge. Too loose the belt rides on the inside edge (engine side) of the pulley.
IMO to a degree, this is correct. You have to have the correct tensioner for this statement to apply. The 8V CB (89+) 2.2/2.5's used a tensioner that was a little longer on the shaft than the early blocks (pre-89). A lot of the catalogs you see on line only list one tensioner. Hence, many people end of buying and installing the wrong tensioner for their engine. Put this on a early block, and you will have the issue you are describing. Here is a photo to show you the difference in lengths. Note the 86-88 tall deck 2.5's used yet a different tensioner. Ditto with other 16V applications.
8v early late tensioners inches.jpg
8v early late tensioners mm.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Todd, Wow, great photos! I presume the tensioner the left is the "pre 1989" model? Sure looks like I need
one of those. I have two cars, 1987 and a 1989. The Gates catalog does specify two different numbers for the 1987 (TCK-071) and the 1989 (TCK-153). I bet I installed the wrong one!

I also think the belt is a bit too tight...which would make the problem worse.

Last tidbit, do you think I destroyed the belt? It was definitively grinding on the edge of the tensioner...

Thank you!
Best Regards, Philip

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Philip,
Correct, shorter in height tensioner on the left is for the pre-common blocks. CB's use the slightly longer tensioner. Belt is probably okay, but they're really cheap compared to most older timing belts. Double check and make sure your crank sprocket is bottomed out on crankshaft. Don't know if you've had that off recently or not, but if it isn't fully pressed on, it will do the same thing. Happened to my friends GLHS. It was about 1/16-1/8" " from being tightened down all the way and he was chewing up both his timing belt and drive belts from being out of alignment.

·
Administrator
25,367 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Naj,
Great article, I took the tensioner off and replaced it with a known good one with the correct part number. I did loosen up the belt and it started to move off the edge.

As you can see its not on the edge, but it needs to move inside a big more.

I can loosen it some more based on your article, but I'm wondering if something
else is out of place?

Best Regards, Philip

20210725_143201.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts