Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Any tips on how to re-finish the CSS wheels on a shelby lancer? Someone painted the rim black, so it's no longer polished. How do I go about making that all nice and shiny?

Also, should I strip the entire wheel and re-do them, or just re-finish the rim?

(i'm still looking for center caps for these bad boys too)

thx. . .shawn

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i just striped some the other day. Zip strip or any marine aircraft or paint and varnish remover will take it of then you can do what you wish. caps are hard to find

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I guess the question is, how do I get that cool mirror finish on the rim? die grinder?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
depending on how good your polishing skills are. a rotory polisher and aluminum polish will do that for you once they are clean and there is no residue them wheel weights and no clear coat

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i used semi paste paint and varnish remover and a brush to apply it and water to rinse it off, some are solvent thinning

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i used Roc Miracle stripper. any one works, active ingredient is Methalyn Chloride i think its spelled that way. Zip Strip or 5F5 or anything that says use gloves and is corrosive to paint will work. must say safe for metal and aluminum

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great stuff! This is the info I was looking for. I'll post pictures once I start working on them.

How do you go about re-finishing the wheels? The CSS in particular?

Let's say that I stripped them down completely, polished them and wanted to get them back to their black beauty. Would I paint/clear coat them, or is powder coating a better option? Or should I not strip the wheels completely down?

thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts