Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought SHELBY LANCER #021 about a year ago and its been a great car ,I got it from the origional owner with 70,038 on the clock . The questions I have are did these cars come complete from chrysler with stock intake ,radiator ,wheels ,turbo , etc or were some of these mods done at chrysler or did they come incomplete to shelby? Because if they came complete thats alot of spare worthless parts to throwaway 800 sets of stock wheels. Some people claim they have vidieo and photos of these cars being built but I have serched the net and cant find a single photo of even just the plant. Somebody has to have more info on how these cars came. Also does anyone have a vin list for the shelby lancer and all the dealers that got them Ive seen them for the GLHS cars but thats it. I love this car and just want more info about them . thanks if you can help.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the Lancers, but I don't see why they would be any different then any of the other Shelby cars. I know the GLHS's were shipped still as log TI cars, and everything was switched over at the Whittier plant. I have picts from inside the Whittier plant from sometime in 1987 when all the GLHS Chargers were being built. In one of the picts, it shows the guys assembling a new head with the 2-piece intake and TII turbo, just before they set it on the motor. As far as I know, I think all the Shelby cars were shipped with steel wheels to the Whittier plant, then the Shelby wheels were installed there. I could be completely wrong on this one, but I thought I remember hearing that they kept re-using the same steel wheels over and over again. The original assembly point would mount tires on the steelies, but did NOT balance them(seeing as they were going to be used for transport only, and would get dismounted as soon as they got to Shelby's facility). So the cars were shipped to Whittier with steel wheels, but had the correct tires, which were un-balanced. Then once they got to the Whittier plant, they tires were dismounted, and re-mounted on the aluminum wheels and balanced. Those empty steel wheels were sent back to dodge and used again on the next batch of shelby cars.

I'll have to look again, I have that issue of the Shelby Times with the Whittier plant tour. I should see if I can get it scanned and post it up. It's pretty interesting....

There's a couple close-up picts of a couple GLHS Chargers where you can see the build folder on the dash and you can clearly read the VIN on the folder. It'd be cool for the owners of those specific cars to have those picts. Wouldn't that be cool? To have picts of your exact car when it was in the Whittier plant being built!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah I'm in for pics too. Are you talking GLHS Chargers? I've had 3 and I'm down to one now. That would be one hell of a photo if it were any one of mine, doubtful though.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ok guys, here's an update. FYI, the source of this info is directly from my Shelby Times magazine, issue #5/6. I know this is kinda long, but it's cool info. Some of our theories were right, others were wrong. Read on.....

BTW, Moparman7, you're in luck! This issue has a lot of Shelby Lancer info in it(even has a Shelby Lancer on the cover). I promise I will get it scanned as soon as I can.

The very first article in here, starting on page 2, it titled, "Shelby On Two Fronts" and talks about the 87 GLHS and 87 Shelby lancer. Page 4 has several Shelby Lancer picts, including a pict of 5 Lancers sitting outside one of the Shelby buildings. It says "Reasearch and Development" and the side of the building, and you can see 3 GLHS Chargers parked in the background, right outside the building. All 5 of these Lancers have steel wheels on them, which backs up what I was told about the cars being shipped with 15" steelies. The caption for this picts says "Back in December, six pilot cars arrived at Shelby Automobiles. They were used to set up assembly line and determine how much time and labor it would take to convert Lancers into Shelby Lancers. A total of ten pilot cars were ultimately used. There became the pre-production prototypes which were used in testing and development and also as the road test and public relations cars given to magzines."

The second picture shows a Lancer in the process of being converted to a Shelby Lancer. Again, you can see a couple GLHS Chargers in the background. The Lancer is up on a scissor lift with the rear brakes missing. The caption reads "Engine modifications were very similar to those done to the GLHS models. But adding disc brakes to the rear (which includes changing the master cylinder and proportioning valve as well as the hand brake system) takes more time - and labor. Where Omni GLHS production had averaged 8 cars a day, Charger GLHS production was 16 cars a day. The estimate to Shelby Lancers is 12 cars a day once production begins."

Picture number 3 shows a Shelby Lancer engine compartment. "2.2 litre engine gets Shelby valve cover, tuned intake and intercooler. Radiator which has seperate intercooler section is installed during initial production, not added in Whittier (as they were on the GLHS cars)."

There are a couple other picts, one of the DEX-77 and a pict of the shelby wheels.

A quote from Carroll states "Our engineers, our workers, can make a car as good as anyone in the world. Better..." says Carroll Shelby. "Better then the Germans. Better than the Japanese. Don't let all their image-making take you in. People who buy some of the Europan sedans are fooling themselves. It's a case of folks buying white blackbirds."

On to the GLHS stuff............

It shows a pict of a huge parking lot FULL of chargers, waiting to be converted into GLHS's. It reads, "Shelby Automobiles Whittier facility has room to park about 500 cars. The 100 cars needed for the Charger GLHS production run were delivered in two batches."

Pict number 2 show a row of those cars waiting for GLHS conversion, and the caption reads, "Each car recieved a manila folder, on which the last six digits of it's Dodge VIN were written; this was placed on the dashboard and all paperwork relating to that car was put in the folder. The Shelby production numbers were assigned long before the cars arrived at California.....(cont)." In this pict, you can clearly read "VIN 592584" on the manila folder, which makes this exact car 87 GLHS #0084.

There's a few other picts of the GLHS Chargers being built. A couple picts show the cars up on hoists, there's the pict of the guys assembling new heads, with the TII garrett turbo and 2-piece intake.

This article, titled "GLHS factory tour" has 16 picts. Pict #12 shows a VIN list from Dodge, and a whole bunch of dash plaques sitting on a table(17 to be exact). There's a manila folder sitting there, with "VIN 578949" written on it, and theres one dash plaque sitting on top of the folder. That would be the folder/plaque for 87 GLHS #744. The caption reads, "Shelby plaques were all engraved at once, then stored in a safe at Shelby Automobiles until they were needed. Prior to installation, the Shelby production number was cross-checked against cars Dodge VIN on computer print-out."

Thats about all until I get this stuff scanned. So I guess 87 GLHS #744 and #84 are famous huh? LOL. Anyway, I'll try and get this whole thing scanned and posted up for you guys as soon as I can.

~Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very interesting info, keep it up, Mark. I don't have a "famous" car, I have #970; still can't wait to see photos.
This may be slightly off the topic, but how did a person get the Shelby Times magazine. Was it a showroom "freebie" , did you have to subscribe, or......???
~Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys, here's an update. FYI, the source of this info is directly from my Shelby Times magazine, issue #5/6. I know this is kinda long, but it's cool info. Some of our theories were right, others were wrong. Read on.....

BTW, Moparman7, you're in luck! This issue has a lot of Shelby Lancer info in it(even has a Shelby Lancer on the cover). I promise I will get it scanned as soon as I can.

The very first article in here, starting on page 2, it titled, "Shelby On Two Fronts" and talks about the 87 GLHS and 87 Shelby lancer. Page 4 has several Shelby Lancer picts, including a pict of 5 Lancers sitting outside one of the Shelby buildings. It says "Reasearch and Development" and the side of the building, and you can see 3 GLHS Chargers parked in the background, right outside the building. All 5 of these Lancers have steel wheels on them, which backs up what I was told about the cars being shipped with 15" steelies. The caption for this picts says "Back in December, six pilot cars arrived at Shelby Automobiles. They were used to set up assembly line and determine how much time and labor it would take to convert Lancers into Shelby Lancers. A total of ten pilot cars were ultimately used. There became the pre-production prototypes which were used in testing and development and also as the road test and public relations cars given to magzines."

The second picture shows a Lancer in the process of being converted to a Shelby Lancer. Again, you can see a couple GLHS Chargers in the background. The Lancer is up on a scissor lift with the rear brakes missing. The caption reads "Engine modifications were very similar to those done to the GLHS models. But adding disc brakes to the rear (which includes changing the master cylinder and proportioning valve as well as the hand brake system) takes more time - and labor. Where Omni GLHS production had averaged 8 cars a day, Charger GLHS production was 16 cars a day. The estimate to Shelby Lancers is 12 cars a day once production begins."

Picture number 3 shows a Shelby Lancer engine compartment. "2.2 litre engine gets Shelby valve cover, tuned intake and intercooler. Radiator which has seperate intercooler section is installed during initial production, not added in Whittier (as they were on the GLHS cars)."

There are a couple other picts, one of the DEX-77 and a pict of the shelby wheels.

A quote from Carroll states "Our engineers, our workers, can make a car as good as anyone in the world. Better..." says Carroll Shelby. "Better then the Germans. Better than the Japanese. Don't let all their image-making take you in. People who buy some of the Europan sedans are fooling themselves. It's a case of folks buying white blackbirds."

On to the GLHS stuff............

It shows a pict of a huge parking lot FULL of chargers, waiting to be converted into GLHS's. It reads, "Shelby Automobiles Whittier facility has room to park about 500 cars. The 100 cars needed for the Charger GLHS production run were delivered in two batches."

Pict number 2 show a row of those cars waiting for GLHS conversion, and the caption reads, "Each car recieved a manila folder, on which the last six digits of it's Dodge VIN were written; this was placed on the dashboard and all paperwork relating to that car was put in the folder. The Shelby production numbers were assigned long before the cars arrived at California.....(cont)." In this pict, you can clearly read "VIN 592584" on the manila folder, which makes this exact car 87 GLHS #0084.

There's a few other picts of the GLHS Chargers being built. A couple picts show the cars up on hoists, there's the pict of the guys assembling new heads, with the TII garrett turbo and 2-piece intake.

This article, titled "GLHS factory tour" has 16 picts. Pict #12 shows a VIN list from Dodge, and a whole bunch of dash plaques sitting on a table(17 to be exact). There's a manila folder sitting there, with "VIN 578949" written on it, and theres one dash plaque sitting on top of the folder. That would be the folder/plaque for 87 GLHS #744. The caption reads, "Shelby plaques were all engraved at once, then stored in a safe at Shelby Automobiles until they were needed. Prior to installation, the Shelby production number was cross-checked against cars Dodge VIN on computer print-out."

Thats about all until I get this stuff scanned. So I guess 87 GLHS #744 and #84 are famous huh? LOL. Anyway, I'll try and get this whole thing scanned and posted up for you guys as soon as I can.

~Mark

Thanks for the info, that will be great if you get that on here for all of us to see. I just wish there was more on these numbered shelby cars out there,
the ford guys have it why cant we have this info vin lists etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts