Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can still hardly believe it but I actually got the only SRT-4 in town to race me! We were going back and forth all the way through town. I didn't want to egg him on too much so I shadowed him mostly. We start heading out of town and just as I'm passing him slowly he gets on it. We both floor it momentarily and I was actually pulling on him! We had to shut it down about 10 seconds because of traffic. About a mile up the road, the traffic finally clears up. The SRT-4 is ahead of me and not slowing down. I floor it to catch up and just as I get to his door, we both floor it from about 65 MPH. Instantly the SRT-4 gains about a fender and I stick to him like glue. At the top of 4th gear, I was starting to inch up on him. I shifted to 5th gear at about 115 MPH and lost what I had gained. Just after that, the SRT-4 shifts to 5th gear and I start walking back up to SRT-4. He shut it down just as I was back up beside him. We shut it down between 125-130 MPH.

I pulled over and the SRT-4 pulls over as well. He was surprised I was able to keep up as well as I did. His SRT-4 was stock '04. He was shopping for a new Mustang and decided to get the SRT-4 instead after test driving it :thumb: He even traded his old Mustang in on the SRT-4. Seemed like a really cool guy though, not the ricer type at all.

I was hoping my Shelby Lancer was up to the performance of the SRT-4 but it looks like it's not *quite* there yet. SRT-4 wins by a hair.

·
Registered
758 Posts
130 mph on the road is moving. A lot of sh!t happens at that speed. Cool race though. And it is nice that the guy wasn't a dick either. Most people don't even give us a nod. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it will still be close Dan.

I know there is lot of risk involved with racing at that speed, especially on a public road. I couldn't resist though; the SRT-4 will likely be my first new car and I finally had a chance to see one in action. They are even faster than I thought!

My car is setup so that it can do 125+ MPH reasonabley safely. There was NO traffic on the road we were racing on, and the road was smooth and well maintained (I travel on it frequently). My Shelby Lancer also has 11" brake conversion (R/T brakes), new Eibach ProKit springs, KYB dampers, and 205/50/16 Kumho 711 tires which are Z rated. Has new wheel bearings/hubs and a recent alignment as well.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Darn I guess I better stop pulling 140 MPH runs on ''public'' roads then :rolleyes: Anything to not let a mustang win a race! The A520 trans does have it's advantages :D

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
contraption22 said:
Nobody can do 125 on public roads reasonably safely.
You're totally right. I'm just saying that my *car* is setup for it is all. Arguing that I can do 125 MPH safely on public roads would be like trying to say smoking isn't bad for you. I couldn't help it though....I want an SRT-4 bad and considering there is only one in town here I just had to see it in action. I was surprised the guy was even willing to run me. I don't think he had any idea what my car was.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It's cool he acknowledged you. I raced a Trans Am the other night from a 40mph roll, pulled about a car and a half on him, we both slowed down and he took the time to flip on his dome light and give me a thumbs up before turning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts