Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a fun race with a friend of mine here in town that owns a '00 Pontiac GTP sedan. We've been wanting to race for a long time, especially since both of us have modified our cars recently.

'00 Ponitac GTP mods: ZZP 3.4 S/C Pulley, DHP PCM, Wizaired Intake, U-bend/Res, 180 T-stat, Autolite 104's, Triple Gauge Pod (boost, trans temp, oil press)

'87 Shelby Lancer mods:
3" exhaust: TU swingvalve/downpipe, FWDP cat-back, no cat, Ultraflo muffler
2.25" intercooler pipes: mandrel bent aluminum from ATP (stock intercooler)
ATP RS blow off valve
Mopar Performance +20 fuel injectors
Accufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator (55 psi base pressure)
MM Racing adjustable overboost eliminator
MM Racing manual boost controller @ 19 psi
K&N drop-in filter and '90 airbox setup
Autometer Ultralite vac/boost and A/F gauges

First we raced from a dig, going on the third honk. We both launched at the same time and both cars had wheelhop. I launched the car much better than I thought I would and managed to walk the fine line between bog and wheelspin fairly well. The GTP gets one car length on my Lancer and almost seems to be getting away. I short shifted to 2nd gear and stopped the GTP from gaining any more ground as I hit full boost again. I shifted into 3rd at about 50 MPH and caught back up with the GTP at about 65 MPH. I shifted to 4th gear at about 80 MPH and had almost one car length on the GTP. I brought 4th up to about 110 MPH and had several car lengths on the GTP when we shut it down.

Second race was from a 30 MPH roll. I started in 2nd gear so I could spool immediately to keep up with the GTP. The GTP instantly gains 1/2 car length. I shift to 3rd and stop him from walking away and now have a 1/2 car length on him as I shift to 4th gear. In 4th I walked away from the GTP pretty good and had at least two cars on him in the end.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan (sl3196), what are your next mods going to be? I don't think my Lancer is going to get any faster for quite a while. My Spirit R/T is calling me and it's pissed off about sitting dormant in the parking lot for so long!

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I remember seeing that black 300+ WHP Pontiac GTP at the last dyno day so I know your car has a lot of potential. That black GTP had headers IIRC.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The speed governor on a S/C w-body cuts the party @108...if the 'other' party doesn't know this (and hasn't changed that) at the start and you have room, even if they get the jump and pull on you just keep going. You can show them what 111mph looks like as you go by with throttle to spare! Maybe I can coax the Ukrainian wife to race her Regal GS against me in the turbo mini- can let 'em get too uppity, you know?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Didn't think it was any different than wife's Buick PCM (they are both Buick motors and w-chassis; engine from Saginaw, MI and finished product from at Oshawa, Ontario Canada). Could be- Pontiac is the 'excitement' group...Buick is your grandparents group( I bought it for that very 'stealthy, cheap-to-insure, lets make a deal to move'em at Buick' reason). Your is reprogrammed, too- so unlike many folks you knew enough to 'tickle the box.' Smarter than your average ricer who throws parts, body kits, and stickers at a car and calls it fast!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
In all fairness to the GTP, he's probably running about 2psi over stock for somewhere's around 10, while you're running about what...double stock boost? ;)

Take that GTP out and stick one of those low profile $500 ICs on it, get yourself a new set of rockers, and then swap down to the 3 inch pulley and try again.

What's another $1000 in mods to beat your friend? Drop in the bucket!

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shelby Lancer stock boost level is 12 psi. I was running 19 psi during the race so about 40% more boost than stock, not double. IIRC, the GTP is running about 11 psi with the 3.4" S/C pulley. Comparing the boost level between the cars is apples and oranges though.

You can intercool an L67? I did not know this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
iTurbo said:
Shelby Lancer stock boost level is 12 psi. I was running 19 psi during the race so about 40% more boost than stock, not double. IIRC, the GTP is running about 11 psi with the 3.4" S/C pulley. Comparing the boost level between the cars is apples and oranges though.

You can intercool an L67? I did not know this.
Yeah I hit about 12 that night I think since it wasn't warm outside. Usually run around 10 in the warm weather. A nice 3" downpipe and some rockers and I should be able to turn the tide

And yes you can intercool a L67.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

That's the cheap one...goes for about $500 and allows you to drop to a smaller pulley w/o getting more KR.

That's the big thing in those cars...if you can get the computer to pull less timing, you're golden...

PS - I wasn't necessarily comparing apples to oranges, just saying that his car was pretty close to stock, while yours is hooked up. Not trying to take away from you winning the race...just saying...

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
sl3196 said:
And yes you can intercool a L67.
NO, I can't ;) SLP hood on the GTX... KR is the key. Pump gas I'll run 96-97mph in the 1/4. With race fuel, 97-99. U-bend still in place minimally modded. SLP goodies and exhaust and a 3.4" pulley is all. 13.85 e.t. My 88 daytona with an MP computer would stay with it on the flats. Uphill, the +GTX pulled away.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Actually, Ken, that intercooler I just posted is the 'short stack' and is only supposed to raise the top by 1 inch.

Might fit...but then again...isn't it your wife's car anyway? ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts