Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i got a 1989 daytona shelby 5 speed i let my buddy see what real power was and he beat the shit out of it and shifted to hard now when i shift the stick goes about 3 inches farther than it use to into gear what does this mean? is it just a broken linkage or is my whole transmission shot? any ideas

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Does it still shift into gear? If that is the case, can you shift into all 6 gears (5 forward, 1 reverse). If you are able to, then you didn't snap a cable, but possibly stretched the selector cable. There is also a possibility that he put the shifter adjustment out of wack.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
hi i got a 1989 daytona shelby 5 speed i let my buddy see what real power was and he beat the shit out of it and shifted to hard now when i shift the stick goes about 3 inches farther than it use to into gear what does this mean?
classic !

BITD, one friend let the other friend (me in back seat) drive 'to show him what real power was' his 87 shelby Z w/fresh 225/50-15 Gatorbacks

then, when he took the off-ramp 270 cloverleaf in 4th gear at 45, we ragged him 'geez give 'er some'

so he grabbed second and dropped the clutch mid corner; BANG. CV joint ...

if yur still getting all 6 gears, without horrible noise, then its just a linkage issue

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
the 89 wouldn't have the bushings (thank the lord mine doesn't) so that wouldn't be an issue. Only would have popped off if that were the case, and wouldn't be getting into gear. But if it were a 90 and new model, then that would be a complete possibility.

·
Administrator
26,346 Posts
Did you look underhood at the trans shift arms while shifting to see where the problem is?
The cables are secured using U shaped clips to hold the casing in place.
If one of those popped off the whole casing will be moving rather than just the cable itself.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Does it go an extra distance in only one direction (i.e. towards R/1/3/5 or towards 2/4) or does it happen both forward and back? I am still thinking that the adjutment in the bottom of the shifter may have slipped.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
Did you look underhood at the trans shift arms while shifting to see where the problem is?
The cables are secured using U shaped clips to hold the casing in place.
If one of those popped off the whole casing will be moving rather than just the cable itself.
This one! Just had this issue. FIRST the bracket going into the shifter came loose then the clip was loose and fell out allowing more travel and extra slop in my shifter. Put the clip back and everything was great. Also you can pull the carpet sides off the shifter and see if the adjustments are nice and tight. Its just an 8mm adjuster screw and if the adjuster is moving then thats your problem. Been combating all these problems with my shelby. Quite annoying.
Q

·
Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
k most likely you will wanna remove the upper intercooler hoses and airbox if they are still in the car. It will make getting to the trans much easier.
The cables come through the bracket. There is a clip that holds the cable coming into the bracket to the bracket. This is probably what you are missing. I had that SAME exact clip come off.
Its really sloppy and sometimes I would miss gears. Engagement was very vague and kind of all over the place.
Q

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.