Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Carburated 1985 Dodge Omni GLH 2.2L. I currently have the shift rod setup and i would imagine there is a way to convert it to shift cables but a lot of the hardware seems to look quite different the more i look into it. Is there a kit i can find to convert it? Are the shift cables meant to go on the same transmission? I find the rod linkage has a lot of slack and that cables are much tighter. HELP!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
If there is slop in the shift rods, you probably need new bushings. If you look around, you can make/get heim joints to replace the bushings for an even better feel. In my opinion, a perfect working rod setup feels much better than cables.

I have a Carburated 1985 Dodge Omni GLH 2.2L. I currently have the shift rod setup and i would imagine there is a way to convert it to shift cables but a lot of the hardware seems to look quite different the more i look into it. Is there a kit i can find to convert it? Are the shift cables meant to go on the same transmission? I find the rod linkage has a lot of slack and that cables are much tighter. HELP!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
WELCOME!!

If you decide to change, the shifter and cables complete from a 1984-86 Daytona fit.

Someone around here probably has a set as many upgrade to a later trans.

1987-89 trans shifter and cables match and then 1990 and up.

The 3 generations 84-86, 87-89 and 1990 up are uniquely different.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts