Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Short Throw Shifter?

53K views 119 replies 46 participants last post by  signsoflife22 
#1 ·
Is there a short throw shifter for the 89 Daytona Shelby? I have yet to find one...if not, something that could be swapped, fabricated?

#7 ·
A short-throw shifter for one of our cars is something that Chrysler never produced and I don't think anyone specializes in producing them as an official vendor.

Most people see a short throw shifter as merely a shortened shift lever. That isn't the case. Well, I suppose it WILL alter the distance that the shift knob actually does travel since it is a simple concept of leverage, but to get the full effect, other shifter modifications need to be made.

I can't be the one who gives out any key design features of Jackson's shifter. I assure it is well-built and I don't see why anyone wouldn't like it. The feel is good and precise. It is a bolt-in item.

I don't have one yet, but I've felt it. There's just so much other stuff on my priority list that have to get taken care of before I have to worry about taking substancial time off of my shift latency.

G
#8 ·
phantomrt said:
A short-throw shifter for one of our cars is something that Chrysler never produced and I don't think anyone specializes in producing them as an official vendor.

Most people see a short throw shifter as merely a shortened shift lever. That isn't the case. Well, I suppose it WILL alter the distance that the shift knob actually does travel since it is a simple concept of leverage, but to get the full effect, other shifter modifications need to be made.
Exactly,most poeple just cut the end of the stick off and call it a short throw. I take it one step further and actually move the pivot points a little to make the "throw" less than stock. Actually half the distance than stock. If you were to measure the center of your shift knob from in 1st gear to 2nd gear,divide that by two and thats the throw difference on the ones I make:thumb:
I suppose I can make a detailed "how to" and maybe get it to be a sticky if you guys want.....

#9 ·
lotashelbys said:
Exactly,most poeple just cut the end of the stick off and call it a short throw. I take it one step further and actually move the pivot points a little to make the "throw" less than stock. Actually half the distance than stock. If you were to measure the center of your shift knob from in 1st gear to 2nd gear,divide that by two and thats the throw difference on the ones I make:thumb:
I suppose I can make a detailed "how to" and maybe get it to be a sticky if you guys want.....
That would be nice :D

#10 ·
Jackson,
I'm interested in doing one in my 89 GTC. It's a 555 tranny. Do you have any pictures? I'm also thinking about putting a 568 in it in the future but will have to wait until last fall's clutch wears out. That may be a while. So the shifter upgrade would be nice.

#16 ·
I was just at Jackson's place tonight, and got a hold of his trademark short shifter. I gotta say, I didn't even know if I got off neutral yet (overexaggeration) but the guy does some fine work (underexaggeration). I'm gonna enjoy holding that same shifter in my Daytona soon ;), literally, the same one :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.