Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I want to move the fluid filled coil closer to the distributor and use a shorter wire. But, I can't figure out how to get a shorter coil wire and I don't want to buy new wires (like an MSD universal cut-to-desired-length set) because mine are already fairly new and sufficient. I see that a few companies make single coil wires like msd, taylor, etc., and online retailers like summit and jegs sell them, but I can't find one compatible with the type of connection our distributors use or am I wrong? Please any help appreciated.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Cut the wire to the desired length. It's better to be a little too long than too short so measure twice, cut once. You will need to remove the boot and get a small screw driver or somthing similar and bend the metal tabs back to release the connector from the wire insulation. Note the length of the center core wire because you will need to be close to this length to make the connection good. Now cut the wire to length and then trim very carefully the insulation back to expose the center wire that carries the electricity. Now reattach the metal tab to the wire insulation and install the boot. You might need a little wd-40 as this will help with the boot installation. Take your time and make a good connection. Good luck.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, mine are 7mm Borg Warner which are pretty good wires. I might try what MVaughn suggested but I'm not sure I want to risk destroying it and then need another one or worse a new set. Thanks

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I did my Accel ones like MVaughn explained, last year when I moved the coil to the boss where the AC pump would have been.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove the car and had no problems. Not sure if there was a difference performance or throttle response wise. I like the new look though.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. I have the bracket mounted on the top left a/c bolt hole and I even put some rubber washers between the bracket and head for vibration resistance but after driving around today for about an hour in the Florida heat I came home, popped the hood and the coil was HOT. I'm thinking I could get some heat reflective material from the local speed shop but I wonder is it damaging to be subjected to such high heat? I'm sure it was cooler when it was by the fender. Thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
You might want to ask some of the guys with the later coils that mounted on the opposite side of the head. I am not sure what year they switched the location but the coil was different than the round coil you have. I really don't think it is going to benefit you in any way except looks if the coil is in working order to change to the location you did in the first place, but I do like the looks better where it is located.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to get some adhesive-backed high temperature wrap and cover the coil nicely with it. I think that will prolong its life greatly mounted on the engine. I will post a pic when its done.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I've had mine there for the last three years with absolutely no problems. Had MAGNACORE make the coil wire 13in long when I bought them. Plus It's an MSD coil........RICH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts