Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys!?! What are you opinions...

I have a healthy 85 T1 that ill be converting to Megasquirt very soon. I will be swapping t2 manifolds and turbo on first to facilitate easy intercooler install. Once its up and running in megasquirt and i get to tinker with tuning, ill finish a 2.5l forged 8v build.

The question is, do you think the t1 rods and pistons are reliable enough to "play with" whole i finish the 2.5, or should i take the time to swap in a good set of used t2 rods/pistons that are on the shelf? I would dingleball the cylinders, file fit new rings, and install new bearings as well... But is it really worth the hassle.

Thank you!
Mark

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
iirc the LW rods are good to ~250 Hp ?

lol on my T2 converted 86 2.2 it was the #4 cylinder ring breaking which stopped the fun..
at about 225 Hp ..
but that was a 'tuning' issue of course ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Were you running arp hardware or anything like that?

Doing your own tuning?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
1985 rods are the last HD versions before the 1986 T L-W units.

Most 85's were 10 mm head bolts but not a big deal to install 11mm

Keep it a G Head and run stock electronics.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fascinating. I didnt know about the HD rods. I will need to inspect! Unfortunately it has a 782 slider head on it now... I have a 287 G as well as a 665 G head (did i get the # right) that i plan on putting on with the 2.5l. Thank you for the info!

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So turns out my brain was foggy this morning when i replied. I have a 287 and a 445*. I did some reading on The Dodge Garage and am excited about the 85 HD rods! Ots obvious that the head has been off of the car, so im interested to verify that the original rods and pistons are indeed in there.

Thanks for the helps!
Mark

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The early 445 and later 287 are functionally the same G's but slightly different.

The 287 had an extra A/C mounting boss and slightly larger head bolt holes.

The 655 is a unique G style with oversize intake ports used very early on.

The year is in a circle near # 1 spark plug EG: 85 means 1985

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fascinating! Now i gotta get out in the garage and see what i have. I may actually have the 655... That would be cool!

Thank you,
Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Dang! Turns out i have a 445 and 287, no 655. Boo! The 287 is a Mexican casting, never run. So i think ill throw an FWD F2 roller set in it and give it a radius/smoothing and run it....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts