Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so my 86 Daytona turbo will literally stall and die after driving for about 10 minutes. I was driving it down the road and it started to stall as i was cruising along, put it in neutral pumped the gas and nothing. Just died. It would't crank over for about 15 minutes afterwards.Once it seemed like it "cooled down" or whatever it started up like nothing ever happened and it drove home another 5 minutes. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
There are numerous possibilities.
I also assume that when you said...
"It wouldn't crank over for about 15 minutes afterwards",
You meant the engine would crank but not start and run.

First you have to determine if the problem is related to fuel, ignition or both.

If you have any questions, concerns, need info Please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Regional terminology it seems.

I've noticed in some areas crank means turn over and others it means start.

Thanks
Randy

I also assume that when you said...
"It wouldn't crank over for about 15 minutes afterwards",
You meant the engine would crank but not start and run.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it wouldn't crank, wouldn't turn over. I'd turn the key and the engine wouldn't rotate. Kind of like the starter was heat soaked.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
When that happens you need to verify there are no loose connections at the starter and you have 12 volts at the starter on the + battery cable connection and verify you have 12 volts on the output of the starter relay Brown Wire with the key in the "start" position.
If both power sources are present then you have a faulty starter.
If you do not have power on the Brown Wire at the starter relay verify you have 12 volts on the Red Wire (from battery through a fusible link), Yellow Wire (From the ignition switch, you will only have power with the key in the "start position") and continuity to ground on the Brown/Yellow Wire (Through the park/neutral switch on auto trans, bolted to the transaxle on manual trans.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When that happens you need to verify there are no loose connections at the starter and you have 12 volts at the starter on the + battery cable connection and verify you have 12 volts on the output of the starter relay Brown Wire with the key in the "start" position.
If both power sources are present then you have a faulty starter.
If you do not have power on the Brown Wire at the starter relay verify you have 12 volts on the Red Wire (from battery through a fusible link), Yellow Wire (From the ignition switch, you will only have power with the key in the "start position") and continuity to ground on the Brown/Yellow Wire (Through the park/neutral switch on auto trans, bolted to the transaxle on manual trans.)

Thanks for your response.

Any solutions on the shutting down issue?

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
Thanks for your response.

Any solutions on the shutting down issue?
Let me be sure I understand you correctly...
While driving the engine will just stop running and when attempting to restart the engine will not crank/turn over, you get absolutely nothing when you turn the key to start?
If this is correct I would be looking at issues with the ignition switch/ignition switch connector first.

Will the problem occur while idling so you can perform diagnostics when it happens?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me be sure I understand you correctly...
While driving the engine will just stop running and when attempting to restart the engine will not crank/turn over, you get absolutely nothing when you turn the key to start?
If this is correct I would be looking at issues with the ignition switch/ignition switch connector first.

Will the problem occur while idling so you can perform diagnostics when it happens?

You are correct sir. After about 20 minutes of sitting there dead it will turn over and start like nothing happened.

I haven't tried letting it idle for very long. I'll start it up and let it idle for maybe an hour and see if it stalls out.
I'll let you know what happens.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
While it is running you may want to perform a wiggle test on the ignition switch connector to see if the engine stalls/cutout.

If/when the problem occurs and nothing happens when you turn the key to the "Start" position check to see if you have power on the "Yellow" (YL) wire at the ignition switch and at the starter relay.
Power will only be present on the YL wire with the key in the "Start" position.

ELECTRICAL- Ignition Switch Location 82 - 89.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts