Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my side door on 89 caravan got a little off track cause it wouldn't close properly. The back of door wasn't matching up with van. SO, I tried to lift and slam it, a couple times until I realized the catch on lock is stuck in closed position. I sprayed with lube and still can't get it to open. I hope I didn't make it worse by slamming, but I think I might have. Is their anyway I can get latch free again? Thanks for any and all helpful ideas.

·
Administrator
24,130 Posts
You should be able to move the latch itself with a screwdriver with the handle in the "open" position as long as it is "unlocked".
If it will not move it may not be the latch, remove the door panel and be sure the linkage is not binding.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I got latch to move but there seems to be old plastic jammed up in there. I tried to get out all I could, lubed it up some more, still not moving to freely. I'll keep spraying WD and see if I can get more plastic junk out of there. Other than that I don't know whatelse to do. At least I can get door to close now.

·
Administrator
24,130 Posts
There was a plastic sleeve that goes over the striker and that could be the plastic that is in the latch.

Latch is still available from Mopar or JY if you need a new one.
Fits 84-95 Mini-Vans.

Mopar Parts | Order OEM Mopar Parts for All Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep Cars or Trucks

Old Part Number 4339358
New Part Number 4719358
Part Name Side loading door Glass and hardware Latch Latch
MSRP $123.00
Core $0.00
Online Price $88.69

1 - 4 of 4 Posts