Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok for the engine to be sitting over the winter without coolant in it? I need a new lower rad hose for my glhs so it could be sitting without coolant for a while. I'm just paranoid rust could be forming inside the block or something :confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I were you I would find some way to plug the rad and engine or put a makeshift hose in there so you have coolant and are sealed. Take the time and a few bucks at the parts store now to be safe so you don't have a more expensive problem in the spring.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
it will rust slightly, but its not a big deal. make sure that what coolant is left in the system (it pools in low areas) is not just plain water, will be fine if you had antifreeze in it before you drained it.
just stuff a rag into the rad and water pump and youll be fine.

·
Administrator
24,844 Posts
I would try to find a way to keep coolant in there as the coolant has anti-rust/corrosion additives that will protect both the cast block, aluminum head, water pump, radiator and your turbo if it is water cooled.
With the engine and components using dissimilar metals the last thing you want is a galvanic corrosion problem which may result in leaking freeze plugs or other cooling system problems.
Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
626 Posts
and more reason to keep full.

THe half filled of coolant in block forms a ICKY junk scum at the surface of coolant.

Cheers, Wizard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts