Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 great FWD performance companies marketing sliders and the other roller cams for high performance modified TDs. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages of each and applications where one is better than the other. But as I keep modifying my 2.5 CB and going all big valve porting, I'm looking for the best reliable option for a 12 second car with 350 whp. Still a weekend street with occasional track tuner.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Roller unless you like metal shavings in your oil, less power, more friction.
Roller cams alow higher lift with less duration witch gives you more power at the same RPM, Although ive not seen a real modern profile for our cars yet but the roller is still nicer even if most of them are a copy of a very old and outdated mp cam.
Maybe someone will step up and make a real cam with some nicer lift #'s soon but I havent seen it yet

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
No. I say slider for sure. You gain about .007659 HP from using rollers and they have been known to fail with heavy springs and/or high lift cams. I have broken over 20 easy. Most fast and/or hi HP 8 Valvers run sliders. But try it for yourself......you will learn.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My top 2 choices currently from my research unless something better out there, would be the FM 505 Slider or the FWD F-4 Roller. I'm currently running the FM-475 Slider with no idle or problems. But with going bigger turbo, IC, ported manifolds and head, just not sure what to step into for that ultimate reliable 12 sec / 350 whp goal. I don't run it hard most of the time, but need response when you step into WOT without worrying.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I say slider for sure. You gain about .007659 HP from using rollers and they have been known to fail with heavy springs and/or high lift cams. I have broken over 20 easy. Most fast and/or hi HP 8 Valvers run sliders. But try it for yourself......you will learn.
See you have an 11.9. Which slider are you running. Also what kind of boost and RPM are you running. All pump gas or some meth added? Thx

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
No. I say slider for sure. You gain about .007659 HP from using rollers
snip
I would like to see the dyno sheets !

if you are running a mild-medium motor I would say roller for sure..

if you are shooting for 350Hp then you prolly want to go with the best grind for your combo, whether its a roller or slider.. if the 2 are comparable then I would choose roller... presuming you arent planning real heavy springs ?? (3.3 conicals FTW !)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
See you have an 11.9. Which slider are you running. Also what kind of boost and RPM are you running. All pump gas or some meth added? Thx

I run the FM475 in a FM CNC'd head, 30somthin psi. and 6700 rev limit. Race gas no meth back then. Im runnin meth this year........and direct port too :D

Oh yeah....that 11.92 run was only 27psi and the sun directly in my face at LVD in july, so I dont know what I was shifting at. I was just yankin the lever as hard as I could :thumb:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I would like to see the dyno sheets !

if you are running a mild-medium motor I would say roller for sure..

if you are shooting for 350Hp then you prolly want to go with the best grind for your combo, whether its a roller or slider.. if the 2 are comparable then I would choose roller... presuming you arent planning real heavy springs ?? (3.3 conicals FTW !)

The main reason I run sliders is because rollers cant handle rev-limiter burn outs 1st-4th at 32psi. I used to always shatter the rollers and the needle bearings would float around in the motor.......not what I like to see. The car hits 6700 before you can even think about shifting it. It sounds like a nasty AK47 firing off! So the durability is the factor I look for. I can just run more boost or nitrous if I want more power! So F rollers and thier "minimal gain".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run the FM475 in a FM CNC'd head, 30somthin psi. and 6700 rev limit. Race gas no meth back then. Im runnin meth this year........and direct port too :D

Oh yeah....that 11.92 run was only 27psi and the sun directly in my face at LVD in july, so I dont know what I was shifting at. I was just yankin the lever as hard as I could :thumb:
Sounds like an awesome ride. I like sliders for the same reason, more durable at high end and boost. FMs been racing for decades and they swear by'm. What size meth injectors are you running now and what gains did you see. Does it just allow for higher safer boost of actually see engine performance gains. I'm thinking of a small meth shot at the TB. Also, I seem to rev limit out @ 5100rpm on my 89 CB turbo, how do you get the rpm that high on your TD? Thx

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sounds like an awesome ride. I like sliders for the same reason, more durable at high end and boost. FMs been racing for decades and they swear by'm. What size meth injectors are you running now and what gains did you see. Does it just allow for higher safer boost of actually see engine performance gains.
1 single meth nozzle. Its a coolingmist kit that my friend ran on a srt4. It dropped the A/F like 1.3 points. Im not sure on the nozzle size, I know its not too big tho so it will work for now. I will tune it in after I break the motor in a bit and start watching the wideband. Should be fun.....I never even had a A/F in any of my cars......I kinda just roll with it :thumb:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The main reason I run sliders is because rollers cant handle rev-limiter burn outs 1st-4th at 32psi. I used to always shatter the rollers and the needle bearings would float around in the motor.......not what I like to see. The car hits 6700 before you can even think about shifting it. It sounds like a nasty AK47 firing off! So the durability is the factor I look for. I can just run more boost or nitrous if I want more power! So F rollers and thier "minimal gain".

what would be causing you to throw rocker arms ? it must be your springs or your lifters/oiling system are not up to the task because otherwise the rockers should not come out like that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have heard that the super 60 cams wear down over time is this true? I have a brand new one on the bench (was told the last one from dodge when I ordered it) I am worried I will get it together then have it fail in a short amount of time? what is your guys opinion about that cam since you seem to like the sliders? thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
what would be causing you to throw rocker arms ? it must be your springs or your lifters/oiling system are not up to the task because otherwise the rockers should not come out like that.
They dont just fall out. They break in the thin spot where the roller is pinned. Had the same problem in my buddies charger. Got real annoying. I even tried different name brands with close to the same results. I talked to Mike @ FM and he said just run the sliders. He just said it happens i guess. I have NEVER had any issue with my sliders.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
So basicly anything much more than a stock roller will break the roller rockers ?
well that sucks to hear, what are the conditions when they snap right at the rev limit or do they just break at any rpm, I wonder if they would hold up if the engine was built to shift at 5800-6200 rpm

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I dunno. I never really looked into it. Honestly I dont care about the performance standpoint, just the durability factor. I used to beak them at rev limit tho. The way i look at it, my car makes plenty of power witout rollers......so whatev.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts