Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 1990 dodge spirit with the 2.5 in it and i have a t4 50 trim turbo, FMIC, and Stage 3 cal, that used to throw down almost 25 to 30 pounds with the waste gate can unplugged. I have just recently rebuilt the motor have good compression all around, resealed the exhaust and checked for vacuum leaks and to make sure the G-valve was working properly. No leaks in the FMIC piping or the cooler itself, checked it all. Still nothing... the car will boost up to around 10 to 13 pounds with me pushing it hard and it gets there slowly on top of it. Also replaced the waste gate actuator with a 7psi big can. :bang head This has been an on going issue for about 2 weeks now with no success any input or advice would be appreciated. My preferred psi would be around 15 pounds or more in the near future and my boost times to be lower.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
stage 3 with 28-30 psi of boost? Are you runnning oversized injectors?
As for your problem.
There could be a couple things wrong. It does not sound like a vac leaks.
1) Leak in the intercooler piping somewhere. Definitely check all connections and the rubber inbetween for any rips. If you a leak tester that would be great. I have always had goodluck getting a wet dry vac and putting it on the block setting and putting the turbo end of the intercooler pipped onto the vac and turning it on. Works great for leak check. If you can make a fitting for compressor air from an air compressor to into it, it can also make a great leak detector. I have had friends do this and it works great.
2) Turbo is going south. Check for shaft play. Is it blowing any oil?
3)timing could be off but it doesnt sound like timing is off if you are pulling that much mmhg at idle.
4) wastegate problem. But since you have already changed the wastegate it is prolly just something to recheck, make sure it closes all the way.
Q

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, its definately not an intercooler leak. everything else checks out fine too, no shaft play, turbine spins freely, no smoke, no leaks. I've been trying to chase this problem for a while. The only thing i can think is the turbo is toast. Its an off brand t4 i got off a buddy, its not ball bearing and its oil cooled. I'm thinkin maybe I should just get in the market for a garrett.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have an idea. When i first had this problem i was driving the car on the freeway. I had it dialed in perfect, boost set at about 15lbs, timing spot on, the car was perfect. However i had just replaced the head and cylinder four piston because i had the bright idea to unplug the waste gate and run like 25-30lbs of boost. As i came up to my exit, right before i let off the throttle my boost level dropped slightly. That when the problem started, pulled away from a light and that sucker wasnt good for more than 10lbs ringing it out. I discovered that i had horrible compression on cylinder 1. I blew a ring landing, so i tore apart the motor. when i put it back together the car ran excellent and all cylinders have great compression, but still had a boost problem. So i figured my can just died. Replaced that, no dice, still very laggy spool times and low boost levels. I have checked EVERYTHING since. I'm wondering, if i already had horrible blowby and my crankcase was pressurized, could it be possible that my oil return was backed up and slowed up the turbo? And now there's just a bunch of gunk in there wadding it up??

·
Registered
13,565 Posts
What exactly is your Stage 3 cal? Made by whom?
Do you know if you have a 2 bar map sensor or 3 bar map sensor?
Do you know what size injectors you have?
What exactly is the spec of your "t4 50 trim turbo"? Any picture?\
What RPM does 1psi starts at top gear?
What RPM does your maximum boost come in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWD perfomance stage 3 cal, 2 bar map, stock injectors, the turbo is an off brand i got off of a buddy, oil cooled, already inspected the turbine wheel and it looks like new, no shaft play, spins freely, no smoke, no leaks

14-15 lbs at 5000-5500 3rd
1800-2000 5th 1 lb
1400 egt, 15 lbs 5000 3rd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*UPDATE* Ok so the past couple of days it has seemed like my turbo was spooling a little faster. Yesterday i was able to get 16lbs out of it. Today on my way to work it just came to life and i hit like 18-19lbs without even breaking a sweat. I think i was right about it just being gunked up, it kinda just fixed itself. Time to go adjust my g-valve and dial it in ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.