Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a write up on how to socket an SMEC?

I will admit that I haven't done an exhaustive search on this or similar forums, but I have looked quite a bit. All the reference material yielded by a search points to websites and pages that are no longer accessible. Is there a write up anywhere to do this homebrew?

Alternatively, I'd be interested in buying one but unsure who offers those services. Are the FWD ones socketed? I reached out to Meyers Tuned but no response. I didn't see any within a decade on the parts for sale forum.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
.. the "socketing" itself is pretty straightforward , albeit somewhat small scale work with the soldering iron

the hard part is removing the resin jello covering the circuit board to access both sides of the PROM

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
.. the "socketing" itself is pretty straightforward , albeit somewhat small scale work with the soldering iron

the hard part is removing the resin jello covering the circuit board to access both sides of the PROM
Agreed, I find a popcicle stick works great with one end cut at a 30-45 degree angle. Others like a modified toothbrush handle
use 90% rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to cleanup. The final touchup using 90% rubbing alcohol with Q-Tips

Note. watch for buildup of static electricly as it can fry your board. Don't wear you fluffy angora sweater or pat your cat. Use a ground strap, if possible. Since I work on these items types of items regularly, I have a large antistatic gounded mat on my electronic work bench, I also have a pillow off to the side when my furry friends come to help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll be taking a crack at it here soon and will follow suit.

Is there any concerns using a Mopar Performance S60 computer? Its still an SMEC and I picked one up already. They don't seem to be very desirable and this one is never used. I'd hate to hack into it, but I picked it up for junk yard price so I'm just going to dig into that one instead of my original computer, unless someone knows why that might be a bad idea. I assume its basically the same....

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I'll be taking a crack at it here soon and will follow suit.

Is there any concerns using a Mopar Performance S60 computer? Its still an SMEC and I picked one up already. They don't seem to be very desirable and this one is never used. I'd hate to hack into it, but I picked it up for junk yard price so I'm just going to dig into that one instead of my original computer, unless someone knows why that might be a bad idea. I assume its basically the same....
I also have a S60 SMEC sitting on my shelf and originally had similar concerns. My current thought is this, the pure S60 tune is super rich for race only so I don't see it as the best option. I would socket a S-60 SMEC for a few reasons 1)We have the S60 binary so you can burn a S60 tune to any socketed turbo SMEC 2) We also have an editable S60 tune you can modify to your own needs 3)I don't think anyone will pay more than standard prices for a "special" turbo SMEC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did get my new (and I mean NEW) SMEC today and I suddenly have more questions. I searched around but couldn't find the answer.

The S60 SMEC has the ability to switch between two programs, one for 13 PSI and the other for 18 PSI. You switch between the two by either closing or opening pin 30 to ground. The problem is, this is the neutral/park switch. I was planning to use an MPFlash module (thanks chromguy) and just use this S60 computer as my donor to hack into to preserve my factory SMEC. But now I'm a little concerned....

I was planning to use pin 30 (neutral/park) to route to a switch on the new clutch pedal. I'm going from auto to manual and I know that the start is inhibited unless the SMEC see's the A413 in park/neutral, and cruise control can't be engaged unless the vehicle is not in park/neutral. My though was if I wired a NO switch to the clutch pedal, then it would only permit start if clutch is pushed in (like a modern vehicle), and also disengage cruise if the clutch is pushed in (also like a modern vehicle). But if this computer uses pin 30 to swap between the two programs, am I hosed on this concept? Is the chip that's on the board just using that input to switch between the two programs, and if I put a MPFlash on can I go back to stock where pin 30 is the park/neutral?

Also, in more broad terms, can the S60 SMEC support cruise control? I know that this particular cal doesn't trim any fuel by O2 and just runs open loop, so does it even have the ability to take an O2 signal?

I included a few pictures of the SMEC. I only see one EPROM in the corner, so I think I might be ok with a standard cal that has cruise...

Automotive lighting Water Automotive exterior Wood Motor vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Gas Machine Auto part
Material property Font Electronic device Auto part Computer hardware

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts