Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a smell under the drivers side of my '89 Caravan, kind of like that made by a jammed vacuum cleaner, and I have no idea what it is. Could it be the exhaust, or something else? The main thing I want to find out is if the problem will affect me getting a smog cert.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The smell is coming from behind the driver's door, about mid-car. So it can't be exhaust? Also it onlt smells after the car has run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about that, but it is not really a rotten egg smell. Is it possible that it is just clearing itself after sitting for a while?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The only thing it could be is a brake that is dragging or the exhaust. (the only things that should be getting hot)
So release that parking brake and you should be good. J/K :)

On a serious note, if the cat is going it will get cherry red hot and you could be burning off all the oil and paint off the bottom of the van. Another thing to check, jack up the back and make sure the wheels spin freely. There should be a little drag but not enough to need two hands to spin the wheels.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Also, if you don't have the starter heat shield in the place, the smell of burning solenoid/plastic/wire insulation is interesting...reminds me of heat shrink tubing when you over heat it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Packrat I'll make sure to release the parking brake next time I drive. Seriously guys, thanks for the advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts