Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding an 87 Shelby. This car is a project my son and I started 5 years ago. The engine was completely redone and body stripped and sent for paint. It sat in the bodyshop for another year before being finished. When we picked it up the engine has smoked like crazy. The engine ran fine when we dropped it off no smoke and good power. Drove it 5 miles to the shop no problems. Everything was done except the turbo seals... Is this a problem common to these turbos? The turbo and engine had been sitting in the garage for a couple years before we started the project. It spins up ok and can't see any leaks all cylinders have good compression and it idles and runs ok just an oil smoke. Really hate to start pulling the engine back apart Anyone suggest anything?

·
Registered
898 Posts
yeah, like you said if the motors rebuilt and the compression is good, theirs probably no way oil is seeping past those rings.

on the other hand, what color smoke are you seeing? remember --black-fuel,,,,,blue-oil,,,,,,and white---antifreeze.

hard to say what the smoke is, if its a blue smoke, im gonna take a stab at blue, and say maybe you have a turbo leaking oil into the exhaust housing, maybe into the compressor housing as well.

fix---G-POP SHOP baby!!!! one of our vendors, if your a do it yourselfer, get a rebuild kit, cant hurt to tear that baby down an rebuild it.

this is just my guess, but you havent specified exactly what kind of problem your having.
larger injectors? leaking turbo? blown headgasket (already?)? idk.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
When you let a used turbo sit the exhaust seal get's sticky and then lets oil past when you fire it up again. Unfortunately the head has to come off pretty much to get the turbo off easily. Although some seem to be able to get the turbo out without removing the head. If you can get just the turbo out then fill it with Marvel Mystery Oil and keep filling it for about 2 weeks. This should eat the carbon build up away from the exhaust seal and let it spin freely again. This is the cheap way out.

The way I'd do it is use it as an excuse to upgrade the turbocharger. I've gone through enough issue's with used and rebuilt turbo's to warrant just going and buying a brand spanking new one if I need to replace a turbo. It's just too much of a roll of the dice for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's stinkin blue oil smoke. I haven't been into the turbo just bolted it back on. Oh well couldn't be that easy. Where do I get the bigger or better turbo for this application? Motor is stock just new rings, pistons, bearings, and valve job. If I change turbo what size injectors would you recomend and is the computer gonna have to be reprogrammed for the application?

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
I'd go with a true Super60 turbo. I'd also add a ported exhaust manifold at the same time since they're fairly cheap and will help to spool it enough you probably won't notice any difference in spool time. 3" exhaust can be bolted on later for more performance. Your current computer will be fine. Mopar engineered quite a bit more fuel into the stock system and just a ported exhaust manifold and bigger turbo with stock exhaust isn't gonna cause you any issues.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Here's what happened to my son's Lebaron turbo after installing one my fresh rebuilds. Never had any problems with my builder before with my Omni turbo's.
I told him to break it in easy. A week later, less than 100 miles, he's complaing and car's smoking bad. He had upped the boost and glazed the rings. Tore it apart, honed it lightly and replaced the rings. Back together with no other changes. Kept the car and broke it in myself. No smoke, or any other problems. Gave him back his car and in return got a " Thanks pops".
Might not be your problem though, but it definetly was his. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definately no hi rpm or stress on this one. Drove it 5 miles with no windshield or windows from my garage to the body shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the vender for this true 60 turbo and exhaust manifold? Got almost 10,000 in paint and engine now why quit. Is there an easy intercooler aftermarket to fit. If I go that far might as well do it right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts