Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I become the second owner of 89 CSX #102 with 107k miles on it. This car was bought here in FL and spent nearly its entire life here. Rust is non-existent, clean title, all the correct Shelby bits are there, owner claimed seat covers went on since day of purchase, CS floor mats also placed in trunk since day one and owner claimed they were never stepped on. Also came with the window sticker (but you can barely ready it)all the factory owners manuals. Car had 9 years worth of dirty on it, so it got a bath and needs a good paint buff out. Interior is very good, but needs a vacuuming and wiping down.

The bad is this car has sat for 9 years in a garage, has no brakes, OG timing belt, drivers side window guide were gone and I have since repaired them, c/v joint clicks while turning, a/c does not work, there is a rattle front the bell housing area when you rev up the engine with the transmission in neutral and foot off the clutch, push in the clutch and there is no noise (actually not on acceleration, but higher rpms like steady above 2k and decel) four flat spotted tires, hatch struts shot, fuel quantity gauge does not work (key off half tank, key on pegs empty), Plant to pull the tank and replace the pump, inspect sengin unit, replace fuel filter and all rubber fuel lines, squealing a/c pulley, and fault 27. Car starts up fine, but idle seems high (1250 rpms) and vacuum only reads about 10" and assume that is due to the high idle. I have yet to tackle the vacuum lines to make sure that they are all good, but I plan to just replace them all. No idea yet on how it rides to check out the struts, shocks, control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.....

I tried bleeding the rear brakes and no fluid would come out of RR, LR just a tiny bit. I have ordered all new brake lines, MC, and caliper rebuild kits. I also ordered the timing belt kit, the above brake parts, both drive axles, hatch struts, Walboro 255 pump, filter, rubber lines. Waiting on sending unit until I can test the sending unit wiring (Online I tried to find out how to check it, but was not able to find a test).

Just completed a compression test and here are the readings
Cold Hot
#1 142 142
#2 149 151
#3 145 150
#4 139 152

Also noticed most of the plastic in the back of the car has been sun faded pretty bad. On my GLHS I removed all the plastic panels and repainted them. Anyone have done that with the CSX and if so, what is the dark gray color that is used to paint the plastic interior panels?

BTW I ended up having it towed to my home as it has no brakes. Within 20 minutes of delivery it got a bath to clean it up a bit. It now resides int he garage next to my 87 GLHS.

Goal is to have it road ready for safe driving by the end of the year. Plan is for wife to drive the CSX and I will drive the GLHS to local shows, or visa-versa...

Attached are a couple pictures of when we pulled it out of his garage so please dont mind the 9 years of dirt. lol

Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
87 CSX, 88 Shadow, 89 CSX
226 Posts
Shes a pretty one. Would never guess it to be a 100k mile car

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I Have a CSX too and post videos about it now and then on Tiktock and YouTube.

TikTok

https://youtube.com/user/clericassault
I will have to check them out. Right now I am trying to figure out how to take the radio out. Lol. I am wanting to put the factory radio back in.

Update. Factory radio.works. but the display does not. So in will be in the hunt for a factory radio.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I will have to check them out. Right now I am trying to figure out how to take the radio out. Lol. I am wanting to put the factory radio back in.

Update. Factory radio.works. but the display does not. So in will be in the hunt for a factory radio.
I have a video up changing a radio lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a video up changing a radio lol
Thanks!

I was really surprised these did not come with at least an am/fm cassette player. My 87 GLHS had a AM/FM cassette player in it. You would have thought these high dollar cars would have had them. Oh well.

BTW my factory radio ended up working, just not display. I ordered a replacement off eBay for like $35 and hope that etiher it works or I can at least use the display off that radio.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks!

I was really surprised these did not come with at least an am/fm cassette player. My 87 GLHS had a AM/FM cassette player in it. You would have thought these high dollar cars would have had them. Oh well.

BTW my factory radio ended up working, just not display. I ordered a replacement off eBay for like $35 and hope that etiher it works or I can at least use the display off that radio.
Junk yards sometimes have these radios and they are all over ebay... even some modified with Bluetooth so they aren't hard to find. But I was surprised as well that they didn't already come with tape decks.

All you need now is a YouTube channel or a tiktok! I'd be your first subscriber!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Junk yards sometimes have these radios and they are all over ebay... even some modified with Bluetooth so they aren't hard to find. But I was surprised as well that they didn't already come with tape decks.

All you need now is a YouTube channel or a tiktok! I'd be your first subscriber!
Lol. Too old to try and figure either of those out.

·
Registered
1989 Chrysler Le Baron 2.5 TBI/A413 -> 2.5 T1/A520
11 Posts
If you get your hands on an Infinity 1, II or III radio/cassette deck I can send you a cable that lets you plug in a phone or ipod using the slave CD input on the rear. I have a spare and can always make more.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you get your hands on an Infinity 1, II or III radio/cassette deck I can send you a cable that lets you plug in a phone or ipod using the slave CD input on the rear. I have a spare and can always make more.
I have one. You've got my attention!

·
Registered
1989 Chrysler Le Baron 2.5 TBI/A413 -> 2.5 T1/A520
11 Posts
If you have one of the early Infinity tape decks with the 8 pin connector on the rear for the slave CD player (not the cd changer) then the cable will work. They cost me about $12 CAD in parts to make. When you plug in an aux cable the radio mutes all other audio and plays whatever is connected to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah. Smartphones make it easy! Would love to see your car updates.

I will try to post some photos this weekend. Right now it's kind of hard to do as I have both the CSX and GLHS in the garage and pushed all the way over to make room.

Btw parts are starting to flow in. On the docket it replace the factory timing belt, water pump (it leaks), both drive axles, master cylinder, all brake lines with stainless steel lines, tear all the calipers off and inspect them and rebuild calipers if needed, lower gas tank and replace fuel sending unit along with fuel pump (have a walboro 255), replace all.rubber fuel lines, and I think that is it until I can drive it and see what kind of suspension noises it makes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like you've got your hands full. You're going to have to change you username to csxglhs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts