Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
re your trans rattle..
while idling press down on clutch arm ..see if rattle goes away
repeat with a little throttle

if the noise goes away it's something in the throughout bearing ..

if not,
check the rattle isn't coming from the diff..you may need to lift your idling car on a hoist..
if diff..you need side gears..and their pin

·
Registered
1987 GLHS 0564
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So an update is due

I have rebuilt both door outer window scrapers, installed a period correct and refurbished am/fm/cd/cassette player, replaced both lower control arms bushings and ball joints, ordered and received new utch kit, bought rebuilt 555, and continued to fight overboost. I have bought a NOS VNT-25 in Hope's it's that turbo. Stock exhaust and safetywored vane lever arm wide open and still hots 23#, hence new turbo.

Plan is to just pull trans and engine together then once out replace the turbo, clutch assembly, and trans. Shooting for late spring on that job.

For overboost issues, you name it I have troubleshoot it, but sealed the deal with the safety wire IMHO.

Once OG trans is removed, I will ha e it rebuilt and possibly the same for the OG turbo.

·
Registered
1987 GLHS 0564
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ooo, new parts are always awesome! Keep up the solid progress!

Pictures of the fun?? 😁

~Mark
Mark,

I pulled the engine and trans so I could replace the VNT, leaking rear main seal, chattering trans, clutch, and leaking steering rack. Replaced above parts, flushed cooling systemz new t-stat, upgraded VNT coolant line (I wanted to do the oil supply but I could not fine one of the fittings so the stock setup wne t back in. I will order a new line, disconnect the front and rear motor mounts along with exhaust and rock the engine forward to see if I have a enough room to replace the oil supply line).

Got is all bacl together and confirmed it maxes out at about 11lbs of boost (used two gages and one recorded peak boost). 1 pound low, but I am not messing with the actuator arm unless I do the oil line upgrade (actuator can has to.come off I believe).

Bottom line is the car runs like a champ! No over boost and no trams chatter.

Only issue I had was tracing an oil leak that I could smell. Bobble strut and k-member were wet with oil so assumed oil drain back tube... No leaks there or oil supply. Ended up being oil pressure switch that had oil leaking out the electrical.connector and it would run down the front of the engine, across the bottom of the trans and the wind from striving would blow it up on the k-member, back side of engine, and exhaust. Replaced the switch and 50 mile drive was complelty leak free.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts