Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into megasquirt for a long time... originally for my neon project. But now I have a boosted car where more options for tuning are available in a stand alone. So now is the time to get more serious in thinking about it.

I have read the basics on it and think I could wire it up, but the main thing I would not know how to do or what to buy would be for the crank sensor/timing sensor/whatever its called :D

Anybody have suggestions/advice/etc?

·
Registered
239 Posts
There are a few different ways you can set it up.

The optical sensor with a tone ring works the best. Then you can use for DIS with no problems. Just weld on the ring to the crank pulley and make a bracket for the sensor.

Its super easy. If you wan make a wiring harness and solder, you will have no problems. Every part you need besides the kit itself can be had at a junkyard.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have searched. There is good info out there... let me be more specific on my question...

There are a few different ways you can set it up.

The optical sensor with a tone ring works the best. Then you can use for DIS with no problems. Just weld on the ring to the crank pulley and make a bracket for the sensor.

Its super easy. If you wan make a wiring harness and solder, you will have no problems. Every part you need besides the kit itself can be had at a junkyard.
Optical sensor and tone ring? This is some of the few things I have read and were not sure about. Is there a link to a pic or anything similar to give me a better idea? I have spare neon coil packs laying around, think that would work?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Optical sensor and tone ring? This is some of the few things I have read and were not sure about. Is there a link to a pic or anything similar to give me a better idea?
thats why I posted links, if you look in the 2nd link in post #12 you will see a pic for an example

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i think this is what he ment. its a 36-1 trigger wheel and VR sensor to run a ford EDIS system (4, 6 or 8 cylinder modules) and im even using GM coilpacks with mine

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOOHHHHH that makes more sense! Sorry for not looking into your found post earlier ;)

Interesting... how would you attach it to an aluminum pulley? JB weld?!? :D

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
aluminum? not sure.
i dropped my aluminium UDP so i could weld the mild steel toothed wheel onto the cast steel pulley. my machinist/welder cousin welded it on with a hi % ni-rod and an arc welder. cause the pulley was cast, you have to be brief so as not to heat it too much and cause expansion/contraction cracks in the welds.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OOOHHHHH that makes more sense! Sorry for not looking into your found post earlier ;)

Interesting... how would you attach it to an aluminum pulley? JB weld?!? :D
Let me preface this by saying that I've never looked closely @ a 3.0 so what's below may not even work. On the 2.2 in our glh-t my bro and I drilled the welds holding the ac pulley to the main pulley. After separating the 2 pullies we then split the ac pulley down the center of the groove and drilled it with 6 holes equally spaced and drilled the trigger wheel to match. This allowed us to index the trigger wheel easily as we're using a full edis setup. Everything was just bolted together after that. Also, diyautotune.com sells various sized trigger wheels, so you may find something easier to use there (ours was pulled from a early 90's wagon in a j/y).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
its for a 2.2/2.5, not a 3.0 I think?

Guidsm did something also thats what I was trying to find earlier but didn't spend much time on it.

Personally I would not use JB weld although it may work

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, the JB weld was mostly a joke! I wouldn't use it on moving parts... but I have used it on intake manifold and what not to fill in or hold certain parts together.

Anywho, its a 2.5L turbo. Ill look at that site link and see what they got! Thanx again guys.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gathering a few more questions...

I should be able to install the MS, but still have my stock gauges, AC, etc. still run off the stock ECU, right?

Also, I have read about the autotune feature... is that worth a shot for a newbie like me?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As the topic says, Megasquirt my mini :D I actually just sold my neon... probably should change that in my info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts