Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....then be sure to read this first!

The following dialog is an excerpt of a dialog between myself and the MSD technical support department:

Questions: "I just purchased a Blaster 2 for a 1987 Turbo charged Dodge Shelby Charger. Three questions: I have been told that the Blaster 2 needs to be mounted in a vertical position only, not on it's side with the terminals elevated about 20* such as the OEM mounting would have it. Is vertical mounting a requirement? 2. I am told the OEM coil that I am replacing has an internal ballast resistor, told by several Chrysler certified techs familiar w/these cars. Is the Blaster 2 #8202 require an externally mounted ballast resistor to be compatible w/this model car? 3. If external ballast is a requirement, what, if any, problems may result from running w/o the external ballast. Many of the owners of these cars are running them w/o the external ballast. Thanks in advance, Steven "

MSD Tech Response:

1) The 8202 should be mounted no more than 45º degrees from vertical. :bang head

2) Yes, you will require an external ballast resistor. :bang head

3) Running with out the ballast will result in damage to the signaling device in the distributor. :bash:

So if you are running an MSD Blaster 2 w/o a balast resistor then you should be running a ballast resistor if its a turbo car w/electronic injection! If it's mounted in the stock coil bracket and lying down, it needs to be moved to the vertical or no less than 45* from vertical, if you seem to be going through HEPs...then guess we know the cause.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've been running it in the stock location (wrong) without an external ballast (wrong) for many years. Could this be affecting vehicle performance? Or is it simply reducing the lifespan of the HEP sensors.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
I've used everything from an accel super coil , just to try it , an accel super stack , an accel electronic ford / gm coil and the msd with never 1 hep issue

I've had 1 old cryco hep fail with a stock coil but I know it was because of the crappy phone wire like wires breaking on the stock one

at our canadian tire stores up here they had a hep that had wiring that more resembled the cord on a toaster or lamp - thicker , more rubber-ie and grouved between each wire

- those heps solved all the breaking wire issues for me - whether those heps are still any good or if the quality of the ones on the store shelf now has changed - Idono

one thing I do know though - if you start running a ballast resistor your gonna need a couple of spares to go in the glovebox with the spare hep - 'cause you just added another reason for the car not to start in the morning

.. and most definitely you don't want to mount it to the coil bracket if the coil is on the motor - which is also a bad spot for a good coil ya paid good money for

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Deleted by Dennis

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
the question I'd want to ask is if I can run one of the msd programable digital ignition boxes
I'll see if I can find a link to the one I'm thinkin of later
John as you may know I'm trying to sell a 3 step;

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f28/487698-assorted-part.html

This was disconnected from an MSD ignition 6AL box. If you want I can send it too you to see if it will work in your application.

Here is one example of wiring up a two / three step system

Dennis

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
I have brought this up numerous times to people that have installed an MSD coil.
The internal primary resistance is .7 ohms and the Chrysler system requires a coil with 1.2-1.6 ohms primary resistance.
Why is everybody so hung up on MSD???
Why not just use the Accel coil that is made for Mopar products an has 1.4 ohms primary resistance.
I have had one on my car from 1993 to 2010 when I replaced it just because of age.
The SMP's coil I installed died 6 months later on the starting line at the track.
Now I have another Accel with no problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=8140m&dds=1

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
This holds true for oil filled canister coils on the injected cars, not sure of the specs or aftermarket equivalents of the epoxy filled brick style coils.
Older Mopars all ran external ballast resistors that failed frequently, most carried a spare in the glove box.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
when i took the stock coil out of my 88 Lebaron their was no external ballast resistor. It only had an external capacitor?

Dennis

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
when i took the stock coil out of my 88 Lebaron their was no external ballast resistor. It only had an external capacitor?

Dennis
The resistor is internal, not external.
The older Mopars used external resistors.
My 72 Duster and 73 Dart had external resistors.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
I've been running a MSD for three years now without a ballast resister and have had no issues. In my case the MSD 6AL was a wedding gift from my late father

So Jan what value and size ballast resister do you suggest we put on?

Dennis

Dennis

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
But Again....
Why not just use the Accel 8140M???
In my case, because that would be $200 worth of new coils vs. $50 in new resistors.

My '87 has been acting weird for the longest time, tried a bunch of different things but nothing cured the problem so far. I know I have at least one of these resistors sitting around, I'll put it in and see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a Blaster coil mounted Vert, but we are using the MSD 6AL Programable box as well. Dizzy is an Early 1.7 electronic with vac adv (not used) mod'd to fit the 2.2. We also made our own simple adapter for a Holley 350 2bbl. Will post new pics tomorrow as her project is near completion.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
good imfo. i wish i would have seen this before going there a few heps in hot weather. went back to the stock coil and all is good. ill give the excel a try.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Just a thought but the hep should not be affected by any coil you install on the car. In the case of early systems it might affect the coil driver in the power module or on later ones the smec or sbec. Instead of "damage to the signaling device in the distributer" the msd tech should have said the device that switches the ground to the coil.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Primary resistance of the Blaster 2 is .7 ohms and Chrysler calls for 1.2-1.6 ohms so a .7-.8 ohm resistor is what you would need.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8214

But Again....
Why not just use the Accel 8140M???

I am not a huge fan as the extra voltage melts the ends of the wires faster. and they never come post type.

·
Registered
166 Posts
stinks since i bought a b2 before finding about the ohm issue. Now its either buy the resistor or waste 40 bucks and get accel.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts