Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!! Hope everyone is doing well :)

I have an 84 Rampage and I've replaced the struts + coils but its still a fairly bumpy ride. Someone suggested getting helper springs for the rear.....

Has anyone played around with the suspension and have any tips...?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
You should check all the rubber bushings in the front and rear suspension. My one rampage rides smoothly. The other does not. I think that has to do with it being used to tow in the past. I would suspect failing rubber parts in the leaf spring eyes, and front end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. I took it to the shop and they said the bushings are in tact. You think it’s still worthwhile replacing them? They quoted about $500 for the labor

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did you ask them to take your vehicle for a test drive? I wouldn't spend the $500 for labor unless the Rampage was almost a show car that you were going to keep for the next 10 or 20 years. Because they are intact replacing them isn't likely to show any improvement. If you have more money than Bill Gates then I would replace them just because the originals are over 30 years old. If you didn't ask them to test drive it then take it back and ask them to test drive it because they would likely know right off what is causing the problem. Just for fun ask them how much it would be to replace the rear springs, not to have it done, but more to find out if springs are even available and what the ridiculous cost would be. I don't know if re-arching the rear leaf springs would be helpful? But there are videos about it on YouTube.

The Dodge Rampage isn't supposed to use coil-over shocks, air shocks, or likely helper springs because the portioning valve for the rear brakes falsely thinks the bed is empty when it is in fact loaded so you get inadequate rear braking when hauling a load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts