Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one useing the 2.0 SOHC 16 valve head for there conversions. It seems that everyone is useing the DOHC heads. The reason I ask is that I just got A SOHC 16 valve head for free, and I have a couple of common blocks kicking around. Is this head a good choice for A conversion.?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The sohc heads are good for low end torque, and in stock form the valve train is a little bit more dueable. I dont see any reason not to use it. I think if i was ever going to build a 16v i would use a magnum head.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The SOHC does not make more tq than the dohc.

QKsilverF1 said:
andre is he says the sohc magnum head flows better
That is still debated on neons.org. To my knowledge nobody has proved either or.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
if you go SOHC your really limeting your self on the tru potental of what the motor is capable of. sure the head make some more low end power but no matter how you look at it your gonna get more power over all out of the DOHC set up

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, I guess the flow bench is lying then. The intake side flows a bit better on the DOHC and the exhaust flows better on the Magnum. The SOHC head has a better valve to port angle, but the down fall is the single cam limits cam adjustibility. The dual has bigger intake ports, but also suffers from the wonderful de-tuning ramps in the bowl area. I have several of both heads that we port on a regular basis. stock for stock, I'd bet my money on the magnum based off my testing and experience with them. I think for all out drag racing, you may be able to make the DOHC head ports flow more with alot of porting. But then again, the magnum head with alot of porting flows big time too. I have one on my hybrid I'm building. Both have their advantage and disadvantage. A stock SOHC head will still out flow our stock 8v head.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The sohc head will also increase the compression, since the combustion chamber volume is smaller.

Andre' Parker said:
Well, I guess the flow bench is lying then. The intake side flows a bit better on the DOHC and the exhaust flows better on the Magnum.
If the dohc intake flows better, and the magnum exhaust flows better, how do you decide that the magnum is better than the dohc head? Have you tested the newest dohc head?

Please post the numbers for the sohc, magnum and dohc heads please.
Posting pictures of your setup, transition from the bench to each head, what they were flowed at, and anything else would be a great bonus.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now this topic is geting good. Lets keep the info comeing. Is anyone out there useing a SOHC 16 valve.? What has to be done to bolt one on.?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Why would the SOHC swap be easier than a DOHC swap? You're still dealing with all of the same challenges. The only differece I see is that you end up with one cam to time instead of two.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'll shoot some pics. For one, you don't have to grind your pass. side motor mount. The tooth count is off so I am going to have to have the outer gear for the 8v cut off and mated to the center of the sohc cam gear. On the return ports for the oil, you can use the flange off of the magnum exhaust and use it to make your own header. The head itself is slightly smaller. I'm not saying that using the sohc is better or worse. I like the sohc head better and I have my own machine shop and can do my own work. It is easier to do from a machinist point of view. You still have the same issue of feeding the head oil, I'm just doing it in the same location that they did stock. The newest neon head (srt4 and pt) isn't a bad head to use at all. But, look at a dyno plot for a magnum R/T neon and the dohc R/T neons. You'll see they are a good match for each other, but the magnum makes more power under the curve. I'll post up some flow numbers for you guys. I have ported dozens of neon heads, and all of them, especially the sohc ones seem to have been "detuned" from the factory in the bowl area, especially on the exhaust side and it's the worst on the sohc heads. Most people seem to want to use the dohc because it's been pounded in their head the the sohc can't make any power and that simple isn't true. I'm going with the magnum head because it hasn't been used on our cars yet and I got a great deal on a magnum head and after I flowed it, I was happy with what I saw stock and built a header and intake for it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Andre' Parker said:
I'll shoot some pics. For one, you don't have to grind your pass. side motor mount. The tooth count is off so I am going to have to have the outer gear for the 8v cut off and mated to the center of the sohc cam gear. On the return ports for the oil, you can use the flange off of the magnum exhaust and use it to make your own header. The head itself is slightly smaller. I'm not saying that using the sohc is better or worse. I like the sohc head better and I have my own machine shop and can do my own work. It is easier to do from a machinist point of view. You still have the same issue of feeding the head oil, I'm just doing it in the same location that they did stock. The newest neon head (srt4 and pt) isn't a bad head to use at all. But, look at a dyno plot for a magnum R/T neon and the dohc R/T neons. You'll see they are a good match for each other, but the magnum makes more power under the curve. I'll post up some flow numbers for you guys. I have ported dozens of neon heads, and all of them, especially the sohc ones seem to have been "detuned" from the factory in the bowl area, especially on the exhaust side and it's the worst on the sohc heads. Most people seem to want to use the dohc because it's been pounded in their head the the sohc can't make any power and that simple isn't true. I'm going with the magnum head because it hasn't been used on our cars yet and I got a great deal on a magnum head and after I flowed it, I was happy with what I saw stock and built a header and intake for it.

Very interesting...I wasn't pushing one way or another on which would perform better, I was just curious as to the differences in mating an SOHC head vs a DOHC head on a 2.2/2.5 block.

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I for one would definately be interested in pics, and any info on the cam gear im not too keen on spending $300 on a couple of simple gears

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I contacted Steve Mercer along time ago and he is going to cut one for me and see how it works out. If it all works out good, which I am sure it will. He will be able to sell them. It is easier as far as setting up. I opened up my combustion chambers to 54cc and have alot of port work done to the head.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts