Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the search function and didnt quite find what i was looking for, so here goes.

1. Is the 2.2 (not sure if its commonblock) in the horizon a candidate for the 16v head?

2. if so is it that hard to do, can i get the parts and get it done in a weekend?

3. how much gain will i probably see? im just looking for anywhere in the 130-150whp range. (N/A that is)

4. and would i pretty much have to pull the motor, or will i be able to do it all in the car?

If these have been answered feel free to link me away to the thread. I couldnt find it :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
thats work. thats engine out or complete 16v n/a engine with standalone electronics or tricks these guys use to run a hep to fire coils or use a dizzy adapter to the front cam.

for 88 id find an 88 shelbyz or similar and do a transplant. electronics are similar. wouldnt be hard at all. omni with a shelby z motor is no slouch either.
or you could do an 86-87 glh glhs swap but i dislike the electronics in those years. bleh. they do work tho.

16v n/a into a tbi 88 car?? id not even think of that. look around for a neon sport with a twincam. thats a fun little motor.

otherwise.. u have some work ahead of you and its not impossible just time consuming.

commonblock was introduced in 1989.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats work. thats engine out or complete 16v n/a engine with standalone electronics or tricks these guys use to run a hep to fire coils or use a dizzy adapter to the front cam.

for 88 id find an 88 shelbyz or similar and do a transplant. electronics are similar. wouldnt be hard at all. omni with a shelby z motor is no slouch either.
or you could do an 86-87 glh glhs swap but i dislike the electronics in those years. bleh. they do work tho.

16v n/a into a tbi 88 car?? id not even think of that. look around for a neon sport with a twincam. thats a fun little motor.

otherwise.. u have some work ahead of you and its not impossible just time consuming.

commonblock was introduced in 1989.
thats what i was afraid of, if i do swap it'll be turbo

i know where i can get an 89 dodge caravan turbo 2.5 for $300 runs and drives perfectly WITH A 5 SPD!!!

then ill just stick to that. 300 is a steal anyway then ill just sell the shell of the caravan or part it out....

i really have no interest in a turbo van :p

and since i like the dohc ill just do a head swap on the 2.5, i know that can be done lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
if you can get a van with a 5 speed for 300 bucks, why do you want a 16v na. that 2.5 turbo with a 5 speed will haul man.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when you ordered the 2.5 turbo in the minivans along with the 5-speed, you got the 555 trans, not the 520. That's a strong transmission! $300 is a good deal, even for a fixer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i assumed it was a 523 from what i was told i wont really know until i get it out.

i should be picking up the mini sometime within the next two months, working minimum wage it takes a bit to get $300 lol

then i have to build on it a little before i drop it in so by november i plan to have it completely finished and at least in the 13's

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Ah, I found it! :thumb: I had read it on Gary Donovan's page:

Gary Donovan: TheDodgeGarage.com said:
This transmission was designed just for Turbo II engines. (It was also used in the 89 2.5 Turbo Caravan when ordered with a manual transmission)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts