Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for who ever can help out. I was recently given a 2.5 out of an 89 Caravan that I helped my neighbor pull out of his van after the tranny gave up. He was going to put it in another car, a Shelby, I think. But he is going off to the Millitary and basically said I could have it to sell off and fund a project i'm working on.

1) He said it has a forged crank and forged rods. How do I verify this?
2) As far as value on this thing, would I make more parting it out or selling it out right? I have a over sized intercooler and the computer too. (on that note, about how much do they go for? I didn't find any on ebay today.

Thanks, CJ

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
there was never a forged 2.5 crank(well at least for mass production)

If the motor is truly an 89 then the rods are forged and nice

From my experience i would try to sell it whole, if its not going to an enthusiast then maybe take of the IC and sell that separate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so what I have gathered is the engine has forged rods but probably not a forged crank. Also none of these parts are aftermarket so the value is not likely increased since they are common.

Are there any other things I should look at? I think he said the injectors are stock, not sure if the turbo is stock or not. I do know he ran about 9-12lbs of boost on it it ran great at 9lbs but leaned way out at 12lbs.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I know absolutley nothing about turbos much less Dodges.

Thanks, CJ

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
A forged 2.5L crankshaft can be had, but its not cheap and wouldn't be original equipment. Only the T-III got forged pistons. The factory turbo would be made by Mitsubishi, and it'll say right on the compressor housing.

Stock boost pressure on the 2.5 was 11 PSI, so it wouldn't be safe to say that the leaning out at 12 PSI is because of the injectors. But in the last 18-19 years, only God knows what all has been done to this thing.

My 2.5 turbo has some substantial airflow increasing modifications done to it, and with the stock fuel system and stock engine control, it still has plenty of fuel as indicated by my wideband air/fuel guage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fault, I talked with him today after posting and I missunderstood. In first gear it had 19lbs of boost but he said the waste gate was dumping on it through second gear and would drop it down to 7lbs. Like I said, this is all greek to me, I just want to sell it and make a little cash. If I pull the pan, what should I look for to see if the crank and rods are forged? I'm pretty sure the Turbo is a Garret, it seems like I saw that on there. I'll try to get some pics of it tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, here's some pics. It does have the harness, which I thought it didn't. It also has the alternator, blow-off valve and the a/c comp. (that I don't think is good for more than just a core). The pics show everything I have. What do you think, $500 for all of it? Or should I part it out?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
That looks like a t2 Garett turbo on it. If the turbo is good (doesn't smoke, and the turbine doesn't have a lot of play in it) the turbo alone is probably worth $125-150 or so. I'd probably sell the rest of the motor as a whole unit. Sell the intercooler seperate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts