Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a race story, but a cool encounter anyways. Cruising along I295 in Richmond in the Daytona, I had a guy pull up along side me in a Ford Contour. He was probably mid-20's or so. I didn't notice him at first, but when I realized he was pacing me I looked over. He waved, then started making a motion like pressing a gas pedal. I shrugged and pinned the throttle. I was immediately a few cars ahead, so I slowed and paced him again. He yelled through the passenger window "That a turbo?" and I nodded. He gave a thumbs up and pulled ahead of me. We both got off the same exit and at the first light I pulled up beside him. We talked briefly and he asked what I had done to it. I told him it was a stock stage 1 with intercooler and Talon BOV. He said he had a Rousch Mustang and a B18 turbo Integra that runs 10's. The light turned green and we cruised slow a little while shouting back and forth, then he said "Well, you see Integras and such all the time, but you don't see too many of those anymore. That's pretty cool", pointing to my car. Then we both said bye and he turned off. It's nothing much, but it kinda made my day that someone with those cars would take the time to pay attention to my car. :thumb:

·
Registered
898 Posts
yeah thats pretty cool that a select few people know what these cars are.

when i licenced my glh, a guy (older gentleman) came out of the courthouse and immediatly said "theres something i haven't seen in a long time, is that an original glh?"

i just told him "yeah original glh"
guy--"hows the turbo?"
me---"far from stock, here wait a minute (lady checking my vin), ill show you."
so i pop the hood and let the hemi orange paint do the talking.
he immediatly said "wow, looks like you've done some stuff"
so we proceeded to talk about the car and how he used to have a daytona---"hated the lag" he said, but still said he loves the cars that noone knows about.

said he has a restored cosworth vega, said he'll watch for me on the roads.

---and in the same glh, a group of high schoolers proceeded to laugh at me tonight, maybe my hair, lol, shit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
yeah with my shadow i usually get the "hey does that thing got a turbo!??" haha given that they usually see the FMIC and hear the RFL, sometimes i feel like saing no but i dont want to be a jerk. i was at my local carquest the other day when the mail man delivering there walked by my car and he goes. "hey... what you got in that thing? the 2.2?" so i said yeah and he asked "turbo1 or turbo2?" thats when i knew i should go over and talk for a little lol he said "my buddy had a turbo1 in his daytona and it was pretty quick! can't imagine one in a 2 door shadow... that thing must move"

it is cool when people are interested in the cars and know about them. rather than "oh you got a turbo? must mean you think its a racecar. lets race."
i dont always want to race it gets annoying sometimes. but when i do, its fun to beat someone with a nice looking car with a shadow that has a bumper falling off and exhaust leaks up the @$$ :thumb:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the guy was really cool about it. I told him my gas mileage wasn't great with my automatic at 22/25 and he said his Integra gets 15 city, but if it really is a 10s car then I guess that isn't bad.

I had a ricer in a 2G Eclipse one time that wanted to see the engine after he asked if it was a turbo. I showed him and he didn't say much other than commenting on my small turbo (Mitsu). But when I told him I was running 10 PSI he thought that was a lot. Even then though he wasn't bragging about his car and asking me to race so I can't say anything bad about that encounter either.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thats an awsome story. I get stopped all the time mainly in parking lots at the Grocery store with people asking about mine. So Its not just a common "old Dodge" people say. I mean mine is nothing spectacular. Besides the fact that its 100% stock. And still puts ricers to shame. ;) But it makes me feel good about owning this car that some people still know what is is.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
I get made fun of in my baron. Then again I am in a very rich county (5th in the nation) and they all have mustangs and beamers. A couple have mercedes and 3000gt's. Ha my red GTC was out and I was workin on it in the street (i was banned from the driveway since it leaks) and one of my friends from the football team (he drives an 05 GTO) goes whats that a GTO? Naw its a turbo Lebaron. Really? You are working on a LEbaron? Thats a POS. Theres another dick in my math class that used to mock me for my lebaron till I beat the shit out of his integra on the way to school one morning and he hasn't said a word since. I need to get the mods rollin on the red baron so I can show them whats up =)

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When most people think of our cars, they think of all the times they've seen them beat to death with paint pealing and blowing smoke everywhere (the V6 cars with the valve guide problem were the worst). Apparently, our cheap cars can't possibly be as good as their expensive models. And most people also think these cars only came with the TBI motor. It usually takes a good thrashing of whatever they're touting as good before they understand.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All I drive are beaters. It makes it so much better when a rusted, dented, 20 yr old, POS minivan beats up their high dollar penis supplement. I mean car....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Most people don't even know what these are anymore, especially kids under 20's.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
I am 16 and the only reason I ever recognized these cars as a preformance car was last summer when my dad pulled the GLHS out of storage after 6 years of sitting and we tuned it all up and my dad got in it and rip'd it in 2 gears and flew down the road

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Haha, I got in them cause my dads got a rampage which was gonna be mine. I then found this site ad the dodge garage and was hooked. Plus my charger will be goin again in a couple of weeks so Im SUPER HAPPY!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
i felt good pulling into the strip this weekend. everyone turnin heads, maybe to laugh idk, ya hear people say holy ish look at that glh. felt even better when the guy with the turbo'd civic came up and said holy crap man you just totally walked me.. feels good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its great to hear stories like that.:thumb:I allways was a v8 freak untill the night I went for a hair raising ride in a turbo z. This thing was beat on every corner but OMG that thing hauled ass. Another convincer was when a good buddy of mine bought a turismo that somebody had done a full boogie t2 conversion on it. We were all heading home one night and he passed me in my 73 dodge p/u and I never could catch him. That truck had a stroked 400 big block, probably making close to 425 hp. Once I had kids I couldnt afford something that got single digit gas mileage so thats when I started buying tds and have enjoyed everyone I have owned.:D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Its great to hear stories like that.:thumb:I allways was a v8 freak untill the night I went for a hair raising ride in a turbo z. This thing was beat on every corner but OMG that thing hauled ass. Another convincer was when a good buddy of mine bought a turismo that somebody had done a full boogie t2 conversion on it. We were all heading home one night and he passed me in my 73 dodge p/u and I never could catch him. That truck had a stroked 400 big block, probably making close to 425 hp. Once I had kids I couldnt afford something that got single digit gas mileage so thats when I started buying tds and have enjoyed everyone I have owned.:D
yea for sure. i'v had countless mustangs, and my daily driver is a 06 gto. my brother always talked ish about these t/d's. now that mine /ours is done i can't get my ass out of the drivers seat. love it , but the fiancee still wont even go for a ride. her loss:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, my girlfriend only rides in my Daytona when she absolutely has to. She's mad because the AC doesn't work right now. Psh, AC. Who needs that crap anyway. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
but the fiancee still wont even go for a ride. her loss:rolleyes:
Yeah, my girlfriend only rides in my Daytona when she absolutely has to. She's mad because the AC doesn't work right now. Psh, AC. Who needs that crap anyway. :D
LOL!!! :rofl2: Whats up with our women? Mine doesn't ride in mine cuz I'm a friggin speed monger. Its our date car, and thats the only time she gets in. And she nags at me almost the whole time.:D

·
Registered
646 Posts
LOL!!! :rofl2: Whats up with our women? Mine doesn't ride in mine cuz I'm a friggin speed monger. Its our date car, and thats the only time she gets in. And she nags at me almost the whole time.:D
mine wont ride in the glh beacuse she says its nasty and gross. geeze sorry its not a foofy as your 300c. she doesent even like the 06 gto, because she says my quick harsh shifts make her sic to her stomach.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts