Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving TD's since 1987 and only recently did I aquire my first T-III car,a '91 Spirit R/T.I was going to pass it up but,It was too good of a deal to do so and now that I have it....I love it.Its the first 4 door that I've ever owned.Its my understanding that these cars need some special attention because of its motor.One concern I have is ralated to head cracking.From what I have read,these cylinder heads are notorious for cracking because the factory used steel frost plugs where they should have used aluminum ones.My question is:which frost plugs were they referring to?Is it the thread in plugs between the spark plugs(what size are they?) or is it the plugs at the back end of the head?
Another question that I have is related to valve noise.If I let the car sit for any period of time,I get some ticking noise coming from the top end for about 10-15 seconds following start up,then it goes away.The car still runs super smooth.
What spark plugs is everyone running and whats the crappiest grade of fuel that I should use?This car is stock and I plan on keeping it this way until I know it better
Are there any other quirks about this car that I should watch out for?What parts if any should I keep as spares as I await their impending doom?Any other info that can better inform me on how to keep this car running well would be much appreciated.Thanks all.

Frank

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
all these questions have been covered before in other threads. A search should give you the answers. They are the plugs between the spark plugs. www.FWDperformance.com sells the alluminum ones. Use a magnet to see if they are steel. As far as replacing steel ones that haven't cracked at this point do a search many thoughts on that also look for install tips if you do replace them. If you do an advanced search and stick to the TIII section you should find all your answers and hours of good reading and more then you were looking for.
Tim

·
Registered
809 Posts
pull off the vally cover over the spark plug holes and if there is a crack or if it has been repaired you will see it. I know the guy that fixed hundreds of these heads for Chrysler and he say's that it has nothing to do with steel/aluminun core plugs or over tightening them- he say's it all comes down to poor design and thin metal in the area's that crack........ nothing more- nothing less.
If you just bought the car I would suggest following a vacuum diagram and make sure everything is connected to the right spot and is in good condition, replace the BOV with an aftermarket unit, make sure the cooling fan is working right.
The lifter tick is it really loud? Do you have good oil pressure? My car makes light lifter noise but it can't be heard from inside the car- i am thinking this is kind of normal? Mike

·
RIP
1,363 Posts
To add to the above replys (which I agree with);
spark plugs = Autolite 63 (NO Platinum Plugs)

parts to collect:
A/C Compressor (NS1 & Specific to the TIII)
Crank Sensor (NS1)
Cam Sensor (NS1)
"Intercooled Turbo" snorkle on air box, often crack at seams and hook up point. New = $400, so if you spot a good used one for cheap, grab it.
Spare head is nice to have, but not totally necessary.

·
RIP
1,363 Posts
RIFF-RAFF said:
Thanks for the replies guys.What do you guys use for fuel and at what boost level?

Frank
I run Sonoco 94 most of the time. Once in a while if i'm on a trip and can't get 94, I will run some 93. I am running stock boost or 11psi. On the highway, I am getting 28 - 28.5 mpg cruising at 72mph (with an occasional burst into the tripple digits :D )

·
Registered
683 Posts
RIFF-RAFF said:
Another question that I have is related to valve noise.If I let the car sit for any period of time,I get some ticking noise coming from the top end for about 10-15 seconds following start up,then it goes away.The car still runs super smooth.
Try a high quality oil filter (no Frams!) and see if the noise goes away. Could be a leaky anti-drainback valve in the filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts