Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bosch alternator here that has worn out brushes--worn to the point they don't contact the slip rings hardly at all. Yea, I could grab some from the junk yard but they won't be around forever either....

Replacements must exist, obviously because these alternators are getting remanufactured, but none of the auto parts stores have individual alternator parts.

I am about to hillbilly in some new brushes from the hardware store, but I was hoping there is a more suitable alternative.

It'd be nice to spend $10 on brushes and not $150+ for a reman or a junkyard one that could be just as bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I rebuilt my alternator, I called my local rebuilding shop and they were more than happy to provide me with the brushes and diodes I required. I would recommend that you turn the commutator smooth on a lathe before you use the new brushes though; because otherwise you will burn through them quickly.

-Dan-

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Your in Minnesota there use to be a guy here that rebuilt alternators for a living and was from Minnesota. I think he might now reside at site X. I can't remember his user name here but when he was here was was selling brand new denso units for 125 bucks. He should be able to help with your brushes if he can be found.
Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts