Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the junkyard today and picked up a couple extra spacers that go between the throttle body and the airbox.....how many of those is too many? i got like a total of 5....also im planning to go again tomoro so should i grab one for between the TB and intake manifold? will i need longer bolts to hold on my TB? how many of those is too much? when it hits the hood? should i just pile em on both sides untill it hits? wich side is better to put them on?

Thank You for your help

-Murphy

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
best place to space things out is in between the throttle body and the intake manifold. on the tbi cars, the gas & air has no time to mix before it makes a hard 90 degree turn into the engine. a spacer will improve throttle response and increase torque output!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i put one of those in...i added 1 between the TB and intake manifold then i took out a couple between the TB and airbox so now i have 3....the hood still closes and the stock peices that hold down the airbox work with 3 on there....how many do you think i can shove in there before it reaches its peak? like if i put on 3 will that put out moe power than 2 and so on.....
btw for spacer im just usin gasgets from cars at the junkyard and i put some RTV on the one between the TB and intake

-Murphy

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i know my k car has clearance under the hood w/ the original tall deck 2.5. that gives me 12mm of "play room" when i swap in the common block 2.5 from my dynasty. i am also toying with the idea of swapping everything in from a ffv spirit, which will negate this entire situation for me. but good luck!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i just fit 3 on but when i was tightening up the last bolt i stripped it out in the intake manifold...tore the threads right out........i know they only take 14.5 ft/lb.......stared it up and hit it with the carb cleaner and it was leaking in that corner so i took the last spacer out and the TB was low enuf that the bold had threads to grab onto.....checked it with the carb cleaner and it was good

nut then again 14.5 ft/lb is for when ya haveall the threads in not just 4......

is there anyplace i cn get longer bolts for this? mainly the front long ones?
like are they longer on some cars than others?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
go to the local hardware store and match up the bolt with a longer one. That's what I always do whenever I replace something on my car I use some Grade 8 stainless ones

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,466 Posts
Try any place that sells metric bolts. They are 8X1.25mm and just buy them longer. I think they are sized in 5mm increments. Just use a washer under the head so the corners of the hex don't dig into the aluminum. I may still have some extras, tell me the length of your present ones and how much longer you need and I will check my selection. You might want to helicoil the intake holes, Chrysler's aluminum parts seem to be kind of soft.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
mine took two spacers and kept everything serviceable.
BTW, did you gut the air box? I did - has been wonderful since. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had BONOSS wheel spacers 20mm on my car for almost 21,000 miles, with no issues whatsoever.
Maybe you can try what I installed.

They can customize the thickness and data that I want, so that I can install new tires with different data, and the customization time is very fast, just 1~3 days.
They have aluminum alloy 7075-T6 and 6061-T6 options. 7075-T6 will be more expensive but better in quality. In fact, 6065-T6 is good enough. Its tensile strength, yield strength and elongation can support our normal use. And its lugs are grade T10, studs are forged grade 12.9.

If you need it in the future, this is their case article.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts