Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
89 Convert Lebaron - Radio all stock, just replaced speakers with what is pictured - all 4 the same.

Issue is no matter how I wire the speakers on the drivers side they sound anemic compared to the passenger side.

What am I missing?

Bib

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I canned the old speakers without thinking I would need them for review....lesson learned.

PS Will become a contributing member with regard to laying out some cash next week. This site is worth its weight in gold to me right now.

·
Administrator
24,076 Posts
How many terminals on the factory speaker wiring harness for the front door speakers?

If this car has a Premium Sound System the dash and front door speakers are amplified and have 4 wires each, two for the speaker amps and two for the speakers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all! That is the issue, new speakers do not have built in amps. My bad. I'll see if I can score any OEM speakers in good condition now.

Thanks again,
Bib

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,427 Posts
I may have a good pair I was going to use in my 1986 but went a different way. I am using a 2001 Sebring convertible underseat 6 channel amplifier.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,427 Posts
Ok, it finally got warm enough to go out to the garage and grab a radio, speakers and wire. Unfortunately one is good the other is bad. Here is what I did to test them using an extra computer power supply.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much for checking them out. After switching them about in different locations and rewiring I have found that the actual is the left channel is weaker by far then the right. Speakers sound decent on the passenger front and rear. Drivers side, like a baby bird chirping. Must be time for a head unit.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,427 Posts
What radio does it have? I have a good Infinty I that I probably won't be using. One quick question, did you verify you have power and ground to the outer pins of the harness?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What radio does it have? I have a good Infinty I that I probably won't be using. One quick question, did you verify you have power and ground to the outer pins of the harness?
I did not....my skill set electrically speaking are in the negative arena. Just know if I tried to hook up the red wire (positive) to anything radio would shutdown until I removed it.

They sound fine on the passenger side. All wired the same way. Black to negative speaker terminal, green to positive.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,427 Posts
Only the two center wires should be connected to your speakers, the outer two are power and ground for the Infinity amplifiers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perfect....that's how they are wired. So yes, radio is bad. I will send off a pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts