Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving thought on buying a spearco intercooler from turbos unleashed but I just looked at turbonetics website and it says it can cool up to 760 horespower. So it seems a little bit of overkill for anyone here without a drag car. What do you guys think? My goal is to run 20-25psi by the end summer and maybe one day run 30psi. Also how much boost can a stock garrnet take?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not "cool", it can flow up to 760hp and still retain it's efficiency.

If you can afford it, I say go for the large Spearco FMIC. The more boost you plan to run, the better off it'll be.

As far as a "stock Garrett", I believe it has been run as high as 25psi, but it is FAR from efficient in that range. You'll go faster and/or make more power with less boost and a better turbo.

·
Banned
2,837 Posts
Spearco is worth every penny. They flow and they cool. The cooling part is huge. It allows for stable boost, stable performance, and stable advancement of timing. You will see some pressure change from moving to one as the air is cooler. I would go with 2.5" tubing, etc. It is pretty optimal for tube pressure drops/velocities/cost.

Frank

·
Banned
2,837 Posts
In addition, you will probably get great end tanks on the TU unit. You can ruin a Spearco's potential with badly designed end tanks... like the one of the V6 turbo shadow. Which I think I might sell and get a unit from TU.

Frank

·
Registered
867 Posts
Frank said:
like the one of the V6 turbo shadow. Which I think I might sell and get a unit from TU. Frank
I wouldn't quote that in the "For Sale" ad if I were you. :p

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Are we talking about the 1080? I have one that I plan to use on my Daytona. It is smaller than I expected. The core is not that much larger (frontal area) than the stocker. It just runs the tubes 90 degrees from the stocker so you dont have flow problems. I'm sure it will be awesome, but it seems like it would have a tendency to heat soak easily in high-boost applications. Any thoughts on this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts