Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been threads on the speed limiter before, but I wanted to get an update on it. Has anyone found any way to safely remove, move or bypass the speed limiter on a PT Cruiser? If not, has it been done on a Neon? If so, how? I know it wouldn't be exactly the same as on a Neon, but it would be a starting point.

RN

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Not possible with the OEM computer. It controls everything.
I wonder,..... why do want to do this?
The engine doesn't continue to make power any higher than 6250rpm. The torque and power bands drop like a rock. Reving any higher won't be a benefit.
The speed limiter is at 118mph.
Isn't that fast enough?

The highest posted speed limit I've seen is 70mph. So, 118 is 48mph above the speed limit.

I understand the thrill of speed. I've been racing for many years. 200mph in a Winston Cup car is certainly a thrill. But, I do it on a closed track. I've been to 155mph on the street when I was young and dumb. That will NEVER happen again. Keep it on the race track.

·
Registered
359 Posts
dont the chips get rid of the speed limiter?

155 is about the norm for speed limiters, not 118. i dont think cars should have limiters anyway.

eric

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Try 150 mph indicated ...on 2 wheels.... more than once!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Went 125 on a Yamaha 650 Maxim with my brother on back when I was much younger and ummm braver 8o Up to 105 in my 67 mustang but anything higher and it would shake like hell and be all over the road. Had to change my pants the first time this happened in a race. :}

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My high speed 2 wheel shots were on 3 different Suzuki 750 Katanas the last which is still my wife's possesion. Highest car speed was 30 years ago in a 1971 350 camaro 135 mph and blew the rear tire the following day. Sorry, Robert this doesn't answer your question....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I DO have many speed limiters known as the Pennsylvania Highway Patrol. I haven't found a way to disengage them yet.
;)
As for doing it to the PT... forget it. Chrysler has it intertwined with the computer system. If you mess with one... you mess with it all. Unless you want to be driving like Fred Flintstone, I would leave fast enough alone.
:D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MX-5 said:
Not possible with the OEM computer. It controls everything.
I wonder,..... why do want to do this?
The engine doesn't continue to make power any higher than 6250rpm. The torque and power bands drop like a rock. Reving any higher won't be a benefit.
The speed limiter is at 118mph.
Isn't that fast enough?

The highest posted speed limit I've seen is 70mph. So, 118 is 48mph above the speed limit.

I understand the thrill of speed. I've been racing for many years. 200mph in a Winston Cup car is certainly a thrill. But, I do it on a closed track. I've been to 155mph on the street when I was young and dumb. That will NEVER happen again. Keep it on the race track.
The entire engine is being rebuilt with the stronger parts and turbo added. It'll be strong, but not above the rev limiter. I all for keeping the rev limiter...keeps me from killing the car.

Removing a speed limiter does not mean I'm going to go through town at 130 mph, or even on empty highways at above 118-120. I would like to take it to a track and top it out after the work is done, though, and not get stopped by a limit placed on the car. WHEN it can get to a track...I don't know, but it will some day.

How is the stock computer programmed? I know it's hardware but in order to work with other equipment it must have some coding of some kind...something someone can tap into or something. Keep in mind that telling me that removing the limiter is stupid or shouldn't be done is not what I'm asking, and that I'm not asking to go "street racing" or endangering others in any way.

RN

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eric r said:
dont the chips get rid of the speed limiter?

155 is about the norm for speed limiters, not 118. i dont think cars should have limiters anyway.

eric
I ask because I thought about how the Subaru dealership offered to remove the limit (speed) on my brother's WRX and I saw a Lancer yesterday and found it has no limiter. I think some cars should have limiters, but not ones with as little power as a stock PT has.

The only "chips" I've seen are for autos only and don't alter speed limiter at all.

RN

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Weather they can remove it is dependant on the programing.

Some chips recondition the signals to the brain so it thinks somthing else is going on than what actually is. Other chips actually change the program it self.

It is harder to lie to the computer, so a lot of times the speed limiter is not removable. Such as the PT. the speed it limited by the RPM, whitch needs to be acurate to run the engine properly. The speed is limited by the engine not being able to turn any faster than the rev limiter. So in effect there is a speed limit for each gear.

when you are able to change the program like on GM you can simply check no if you do not want a limiter.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
renichms said:
I would like to take it to a track and top it out after the work is done, though, and not get stopped by a limit placed on the car. WHEN it can get to a track...I don't know, but it will some day.
What track are you referring to?

You cannot get above the speed limiter on a 1/4 mile track. Not going to happen in 1/4 mile even with an engine job.
The superchaged PT is around 78mph and the turbo and my NOS is only 84-88mph in 1/4 mile and 15 seconds.

Running on a Winston Cup track with a street car is slim.
I'll be at the Indy 500 / Brickyard next Monday. It's $2K to run 4 laps in a Cup car. Street cars are an impossibility this close to the Indy 500.

I've not seen a grassroots circle track that is large enough for the 3200lb PT 4 cylinder to reach 118mph in a straight.

I'm not conviced I could get to 118 and back to zero on the runways at my local airport!
Other than the Salt Flats, I don't know where you could go.

·
Registered
732 Posts
the need for speed

148 miles per hr slant nose ruff turbo porsche 1st and only time broken white center line became 1 line . since i got my cruiser back from Bob i pegged it once felt like still had much room to climb

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
sakigt said:
So lemmie get this straight...you were young and dumb and had the experience but now that its our turn, we shouldnt? Hmmm....

Rob,
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

With age has come some wisdom.
I've driven too fast, done all the illegal drugs, and even been shot.
Those experiences have given me the wisdom to tell today's young & dumb kids that they should NOT do the same things.

There were no good benefits from ANY of those, except the ability to live to tell you not to follow my path.

Get it?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I guess I'll find the way on my own. Doing "impossible" tasks is typical of me, so it's only a matter of time. As far as being young and dumb...never done drugs, not a heavy drinker, and only been hit with very small caliber weapons. However, I do drive way too fast. If someone else can't find WHERE to peg it out without a speed limiter, I can.

RN

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Actually, my 98 neon R/T has NO LIMITER from the factory, the ACR model Neons also do not have limiters. I don't know how adaptable the Neon computer would be to the PT but it might be worth looking into.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts