Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
limiter

I was wondering about the limiter.
I had thoughts of trying some really small slicks at the track.
Like 20" diamiter to change the final drive ratio for quicker accelleration. Just day dreaming. I was wondering if it would change the speedo enough to cause it to hit the limiter before the finish line in the 1/4 :)

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
renichms said:
Well, I guess I'll find the way on my own. Doing "impossible" tasks is typical of me, so it's only a matter of time. However, I do drive way too fast. If someone else can't find WHERE to peg it out without a speed limiter, I can.

RN
Ahhh...Rob, we gonna have to start calling you "Mr. Modesty." ;)

Anyway, why don't you do all these "engine mods" you're talking about and then try 'em out, and then determine if you actually need to remove the speed limiter to get your kicks. For me, the fastest acceleration 0-60 mph always provided the greatest "kick." I drove my old Dodge Daytona Shelby Z on the Autobahn in Germany at 125-plus mph and it was fun and all, but here in the States, 0-60 is the name of the game.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
JOEM said:

Ahhh...Rob, we gonna have to start calling you "Mr. Modesty." ;)

Anyway, why don't you do all these "engine mods" you're talking about and then try 'em out, and then determine if you actually need to remove the speed limiter to get your kicks. For me, the fastest acceleration 0-60 mph always provided the greatest "kick." I drove my old Dodge Daytona Shelby Z on the Autobahn in Germany at 125-plus mph and it was fun and all, but here in the States, 0-60 is the name of the game.
Good suggestion. I'll try it. If I want more, I'll get it. As far as running on different tracks...take note of the fact that it's not too hard to get a run at Darlington (raceway) and the dragway has twice weekly nights open for anyone...but it's a 1/4 mile...too short for me. ;) I'm a distance runner and don't like short car racing either...

RN

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
160mph with my Formula Ford. Ok, so I know it's not street legal, but it's still fast. Open wheel racing is the best.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Air Ride PT said:
160mph with my Formula Ford. Ok, so I know it's not street legal, but it's still fast. Open wheel racing is the best.
Hey that would be one of my favorites too! I love the little open-wheel racers. This is a pic of me last summer at Shannonville Motorsport Park

·
Registered
657 Posts
Limiter

The reason mfrs put limiters on cars is because it allows them to use cheaper tires. the tires have a speed rating. Mfrs maks thousands of cars so a little cost cutting here and there helps.

RN- if you find it out, let me know.

I am young and stupid. 143 in mom's G35

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
My earlier stated 164 mph was on an EMPTY public highway with no one in front, & no one behind!
I'm old & stupid (QUIET PTG! ;) ) but no car's built better for that speed than the Vipe I was in!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Re: Limiter

RallyDRock said:
The reason mfrs put limiters on cars is because it allows them to use cheaper tires. the tires have a speed rating. Mfrs maks thousands of cars so a little cost cutting here and there helps.

RN- if you find it out, let me know.

I am young and stupid. 143 in mom's G35
Incorrect. The speed limiter on most vehicles is far beyond the speed rating of their tires. Most 'speed-limiters' are utilized due to agreements within the Auto manufacturing community, and pressure from governing bodies.

Brad

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Air Ride PT said:
The boys at the Brickyard were running 227.7mph yesterday!
That's only their average speed!

The driver's I met with in the garages said they expect to be faster today. Yesterday was only day #2 of practice.
We have a suite in turn 2, in front of the pit row exit.

ps to PTadmin:
It was good to spend some time with you! Thanks for meeting with us. Maybe I'll see you on the 17th, when I go back down to Indy.

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
MX-5 said:

The boys at the Brickyard were running 227.7mph yesterday!
That's only their average speed!
Shhhh, MX-5! You're gonna get renichms all agitated! |)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
JOEM said:

Shhhh, MX-5! You're gonna get renichms all agitated! |)
I know how fast they run...and I can drool, but that won't get me that kind of speed. ;)

RN

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Overtake said:
My earlier stated 164 mph was on an EMPTY public highway with no one in front, & no one behind!
I'm old & stupid (QUIET PTG! ;) ) but no car's built better for that speed than the Vipe I was in!
135 in a 1977 Cordoba with a 400 lean burn

A little older and....................

;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It just amazes me the answers to the speed limiter question, here’s one reason why it should not have a limiter, being active duty USAF and being transferred to Germany and taking your PT Cruiser GT High Output with you. The autobahn connects town to town, only one on ramp in the town your leaving and no exits, only two lanes, the left is for passing only and when you see a sign with a circle and three silver lines in the circle it means no speed limit. If your in that lane and get rear ended from a faster moving car your charged with causing the accident. It’s weird feeling to have minivan gaining on you when your PT is at it’s limit of only 120 and the mini van a Ford 4 cylnder full of passengers is blowing by at 140. Yes, the PT was also exported to Europe and it has a 2.2 turbo diesel option and right hand drive trust me BMW does not place limiters on the products they sell world wide, it time to build at the same level as everybody else on level playing field, and keep the the politicians out of the design room!

·
Administrator
24,272 Posts
It just amazes me the answers to the speed limiter question, here’s one reason why it should not have a limiter, being active duty USAF and being transferred to Germany and taking your PT Cruiser GT High Output with you. The autobahn connects town to town, only one on ramp in the town your leaving and no exits, only two lanes, the left is for passing only and when you see a sign with a circle and three silver lines in the circle it means no speed limit. If your in that lane and get rear ended from a faster moving car your charged with causing the accident. It’s weird feeling to have minivan gaining on you when your PT is at it’s limit of only 120 and the mini van a Ford 4 cylnder full of passengers is blowing by at 140. Yes, the PT was also exported to Europe and it has a 2.2 turbo diesel option and right hand drive trust me BMW does not place limiters on the products they sell world wide, it time to build at the same level as everybody else on level playing field, and keep the the politicians out of the design room!
You do realize you just posted in a 15 year old thread...???

21 - 39 of 39 Posts