Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is happening in my 89 daytona shelby 2.2 turbo. Randomly the speedometer will stop working and this is paired by stalls. Coming to a stop, I'll pop it into neutral and the rpms will drop until it eventually cuts.
Any ideas?
Could it be HEP related? Or possibly a problem with the speedo connection at the cluster...but I'm not entirely sure why it would stall if that's the problem

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
More than likely the speed distance sensor is going out.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
If the SEMC can't see the speed of the car when you're coming to a stop, your engine will stall every time.

Usually replacing the speed sensor will fix the problem, unless it's a wiring issue.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't replaced the sensor yet, but I'll try and get that done this weekend. Coming home from work tonight, the car tried to turn off 3 times. The lights would dim and the engine would cut, then turn on again immediately without me doing anything. I'm getting a code 46. The speedo was working this time so I'm not sure if this problem is related at all.

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
Code 46 is a charging system fault.
Easy enough to diagnose, you need a digital voltmeter and 12 volt test lamp.
If your vehicle has a Nipendenso alternator chances are the brushes are worn out ans are easily replaced.
Let me know when you are ready to work on the car and I can walk you thru it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took the alternator to autozone and it failed twice, so I'm going to pick up a re-maned model. I also picked up a new distance sensor that I'm going to put in.

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
Hopefully you did not buy a new alternator yet.
You have an 89 Shelby and the alternator is probably a Nippendenso.
If it has a tin cover on the rear it is an ND.
Before buying a new one remove the tin cover and look at the brushes.
If the brushes are worn it will cause all of your issues and the brushes are replaceable for about $10.00.

ALTERNATOR BRUSH HOLDER BRUSHES DENSO CHRYSLER JEEP NEW | eBay

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I have already bought it and purchased it. I wouldn't really have had the time to wait for the bushings to come in the mail since this is my daily drive. But I will remember this for the future. Thank you for all of the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts