Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone clue me in on the following?

1) On the white Spirit R/Ts, were the white snowflake rims standard?
2) Was the fake woodgrain dash available on some models?
3) Which was rarer? The models with the overhead console, power locks and doors or the non-power models?
4) Was the grill the same color as the body (all white or all red grill) or was there a grill with white trim nd black inserts?

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn...forgot to add:

Was the steel plug issue fixed on the '92 models or are the heads just as prone to cracking as the '91s

Is the timing belt problem as bad on the '92s as it was on the '91s

Thanks again

G

·
A/C was standard on all production TIIIs. Power windows were an option.

All factory heads(91-93 models) had steel plugs in them from the factory. I even have an early Dunn casting with the M26 steel plugs instead of the 3/4NPT aluminums. The heads cracked just as easy on the 92 and 93s. The 90-91 cast heads were used for those years as well.

All three years had the same timing belt issues as they had the same parts as the 91s. Timing belts really arent that much as an issue anymore since we got them figured out. You just have to install it correctly:thumb:

Bring on some more ?s:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks....

Since you offered:

How much of a PITA is it to pull the head and swap the plugs? Any special tools needed?

I know I'll need to re-mill the surface finish. How hard is it to find new head bolts?

While I have the head off, any recommendations on work I can do to it (based on part availability)?

How far can I drive it before I flood the spark plug well with coolant? The car I'm looking at runs pretty good and is mechanically sound (with the exception of the cracked head).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
pulling the head is no different from puling any other 4-cyl head. Have you ever done it before? No special tools to pull the head, well, maybe a breaker bar to loosen the head bolts! You will need some special tools when it comes time to put it all back together; torque wrench, TB tensioning tool, etc

Head bolts are easy, actually go with arp head studs and cometic HG from any of our TD vendors.

While you have it off, I would/am adding titanium valve retainers, new valve seals/guides, new aftermarket lifters, check rollers and rockers for wear and replace as ness. polish cam. The head on the TIII is special and it will cost to do it right. Since your head is leaking coolant, just replacing the plugs won't cut it! you have to have the crack welded, LONEWOLFPERFORMANCE seems to be the best to deal with with that.

I don't think you'll flood the spark plugs with coolant to where it will shut off. Some people drive like that for years!!!

PM Jackson(aka LOTASHELBYS for the TIII helpline, I DID =)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks....do you have a good source for the aftermarket guides, lifters, retainers, seals etc?

No. I haven't pulled on off before, however, I've rebuilt a few at the factory.

Is there a thread on pulling it off?

·
Banned
3 Posts
its fairly simple, just like working on a neon for the most part. the hardest part of putting it back together will be the timing belt, there are threads here covering that. you will need the timing belt tensioning tool, to tension to 95lbs, shop around on Welcome to FWD Performance, Inc. to find parts prices.
when you get a list together, pm me and i'll let you know what i have that i am willing to sell, remember, i have many boxes of nos parts, you only seen less than a 1/4 of it at my place.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Josh!

As you can tell, I got my income tax check and have the $$$ now. Too bad I couldn't have got yours. It was in better shape.

I can drive my Intrepid until I get it running right.

As for the tensioning tool....any recommendations where to pick one up cheap? I'm going to need a gauge to check belt tension too.

Thanks

·
Banned
3 Posts
those are one in the same, the tool is a tensioner gauge, it goes on the belt and tells you the tension that you set it at. you dont want a cheap one, expect to pay between $60-$90 for a proper one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back to the snowflakes...were they standard on white '92s or did they have the hurricanes? thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts