Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I see these topics alot but I now need the info. My car currently has a 87 T2 with a square tooth belt. My cam is the mopar super 60 cam. I am building a new motor that is the round tooth gears. So can I use my super 60 cam? If so will it be fine on the round tooth or will it be advanced or retarded? I think it will be like 7 degrees retarded but im not sure. Any help would be great. If thats the case then how can I skip teeth to get it to 0?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Learn how to do center-line the camshaft while engine is still on the stand and use adjustable sprocket and degree wheel, dial indicator, not expensive stuff. There is a offset keys from dealer but it's outragously 60 for 5 keys.

Adjust for slightly retarded for turbo. Say 2-4 degrees.

Cheers, Wizard

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If you're using the s60 cam are you using the same head or another head. If you're swapping the cam into another head and the s60 cam uses slider followers make sure the new head has the extra oiling passages in the cam caps to oil the followers properly.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Yep ... otherwise you'll wipe that cam out in no time. If the head doesn't have the oilers in the caps I wouldn't even bother swapping the cam/followers over.

As for the retard/advance (sq. to round tooth) the sprockets are different as far as the key location goes. This does not mean that the cams were ground differently though. Follow me here ... keyway is in the same place on all cams. There will be no ADV/RTD induced by switching the common factory sprockets. *The only sprocket to be produced for intentional cam retard was made by Shelby for the carb chargers. It's square toothed.

I'm gonna disagree with Wizard a bit on the cam timing. I think a turbo engine likes a bit of advance to get the cylinder pressure up faster. 2* or so. But do degree the cam in if you have the sprocket (offsets, multi key or adjustable). If not, just line up the marks and be done with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts