Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differeces between the 2 motors? I know the intake is different, but what about accesories, exhaust mani, turbo location. What about internals are they the same bottom end. And is the head also the same. I am asking because I got a killer deal on the ptgt 2.4 turbo motor for my Glhs that I am putting the motor in. thanks for any help guys.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
well the srt engine is a A885 and the pt is a A883 so to tell the truth there is not alot of differences on both. the only reason the intake is diff on the pt is because the pt doesn't use an intercooler thats the reason it doesn't boost as much and ofcourse why its slower, but the other diff is that in 04-05 srt they came with stg1 pcm and injectors but as far as internals i'm not very sure but i would think they are diff because again stock the srt is boosting more than the pt

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I'm fairly certain the "High Output" PT's had intercoolers. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they ALL had them. That turbo is so small I think it would be a BAD idea to not have one...

·
Registered
17 Posts
well the srt engine is a A885 and the pt is a A883 so to tell the truth there is not alot of differences on both. the only reason the intake is diff on the pt is because the pt doesn't use an intercooler thats the reason it doesn't boost as much and ofcourse why its slower, but the other diff is that in 04-05 srt they came with stg1 pcm and injectors but as far as internals i'm not very sure but i would think they are diff because again stock the srt is boosting more than the pt
dude... really... learn a bit more about stuff before you post about it. not to flame or anything, but i don't think there's any single bit of correct information in your post, except that the PT GT is slower than the SRT-4 :tsktsk-tisk:

ALL turbo PT cruisers (BOTH the GT and the Turbo-Lite) have intercoolers, and the block, head, and turbo are the same as the SRT-4. neither the PT's OR the SRT's EVER came with the stage 1 pcm from the factory. in '03, the PT GT's and the SRT-4's both had small injectors, but 2004 + PT GT's had the stage 1 INJECTORS (not the PCM) like the srt-4's.

the difference, engine wise, between a PT GT and a Turbo lite--get this--is JUST the PCM. if you put a stage 1 computer on a turbo lite and a stage one on a PT GT, you'll end up with the SAME power.

The PT GT's actually boost essentially exactly the same as the srt-4, but i'm confident that the fuel tables are a little more aggressive in the srt-4.

to the OP, the PT GT motor will serve you well. what kind of accessories came with the motor? did you get the intake manifold and stuff, or just the engine and turbo?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude... really... learn a bit more about stuff before you post about it. not to flame or anything, but i don't think there's any single bit of correct information in your post, except that the PT GT is slower than the SRT-4 :tsktsk-tisk:

ALL turbo PT cruisers (BOTH the GT and the Turbo-Lite) have intercoolers, and the block, head, and turbo are the same as the SRT-4. neither the PT's OR the SRT's EVER came with the stage 1 pcm from the factory. in '03, the PT GT's and the SRT-4's both had small injectors, but 2004 + PT GT's had the stage 1 INJECTORS (not the PCM) like the srt-4's.

the difference, engine wise, between a PT GT and a Turbo lite--get this--is JUST the PCM. if you put a stage 1 computer on a turbo lite and a stage one on a PT GT, you'll end up with the SAME power.

The PT GT's actually boost essentially exactly the same as the srt-4, but i'm confident that the fuel tables are a little more aggressive in the srt-4.

to the OP, the PT GT motor will serve you well. what kind of accessories came with the motor? did you get the intake manifold and stuff, or just the engine and turbo?
it is complete accesories, turbo, intake, exh mani, wiring harness. EVERYTHING:thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
good year. :cool::thumb:

however, i would recommend either getting your hands on an SRT-4 intake manifold or making your own custom one. the stock aluminum manifold that comes with that engine is one of the bigger reasons that the PT didn't make the same power as the SRT-4. as was mentioned before, it's that way because the srt-4 one won't fit in the PT's engine bay!

good luck with the swap, she'll be a beast!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good year. :cool::thumb:

however, i would recommend either getting your hands on an SRT-4 intake manifold or making your own custom one. the stock aluminum manifold that comes with that engine is one of the bigger reasons that the PT didn't make the same power as the SRT-4. as was mentioned before, it's that way because the srt-4 one won't fit in the PT's engine bay!

good luck with the swap, she'll be a beast!
thanks bro for the advice I will surely have a custom intake done(its gotta fit in an l-body):bang head

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks bro for the advice I will surely have a custom intake done(its gotta fit in an l-body):bang head

the stock one is great for packaging, other than the fact that it sits on top of the motor making it a little taller (but it should still clear the hood!) but the flow isn't very good. it's great for torque, not so great for peak hp. on top of that, it goes right over the turbo, heating up the air that the intercooler just cooled... not quite the most brilliant idea. :bash:

good luck with everything!

·
Mr. Moderator
8,900 Posts
I personally like the LSD in the srt4's. I know this is motor threAd but you all are comparing how fast the srt4 and of cruiser are traction is a part of that equation

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally like the LSD in the srt4's. I know this is motor threAd but you all are comparing how fast the srt4 and of cruiser are traction is a part of that equation
havent figured out what trans i am gonna use yet but it is gonna be automatic. i want this car 500hp+ and in the 10's. i have plans to make this the fastest glhs on this planet. and the srt vendors give ample oppertunity with all the after market pieces. cuz sooner or later you realize our cars and the aftermarket stuff available pretty much hits a wall. and that to me is frustrating. i want options coming out my ears when i look for race parts!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
that's a great point. in '03, neither the PT nor the SRT-4's had a limited slip, but '04 and '05 srt-4's came with a LSD stock. another thought to consider, however, is that the 5-speed Getrag in the PT GT is actually tougher than the t-850 in the SRT-4.

the biggest reason that PT's are slower than SRT's though is weight. the PT is enough heavier than the SRT-4 that it gets whooped by it. i have a buddy with an '04 srt-4, and i have an '04 PT GT. both of us with the same mods (DS Predator, intake, not really anything else!) ran extremely close from a 30 mph roll. he did pull me, but 30 to 80 amounted to about a carlength--not bad, considering the weight difference.

to the OP, i'm guessing you got the tranny too?

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok, in that case, the tranny that you would have purchased with that motor, the 41te, is not the worst transmission ever. stock it is weak, but it can be built to withstand a LOT of power.

if you want more info on modding the auto tranny that came with that engine, go to PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. and join. then do some searches, and look for the user THeir. he knows what's up with tranny stuff, and knows where to go to get one built that'll take whatever you wanna throw at it :cool:

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yeah, if you want to run an auto, stick with a built 41TE(aka A604) and run an aftermarket controller.

BTW, the fastest GLHS on the planet that I know of is SMP's, which runs in the 8's I believe(maybe faster), although it's with a TIII powerplant.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is their an aftermarket intake made for the PT GT that outperforms the stock intake? I thought I read it somewhere like PT Crew but couldn't find it there lol

Thanks

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
the aluminum intake caused the early GT PT to make 215 HP. The intake starved a cylinder for air. The plastic intake, like my 05 has a wing inside it diverting the air right. So my PT GT is a 230 HP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts