Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an SRT4 (or similar sized) intercooler installed in a Daytona??

Just got one today and was mocking it up, and it looks like it's going to be a pain to install in the nose. Was wondering if anyone had any pictures of one installed or tips on installing one.

Any help, advice, criticism, or sarcasm is appreciated! :thumb:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took a long look at it today; and I think I have it figured out.

Going to mount the intercooler as shown, in pic #1, straight outlet on the passenger side, pointed towards the back of the car, and the ovaled outlet on the driver's side, pointing up and towards the back of the car.

Looks like I'm going to have to trim some of the fog lamp bracket away to fit it up in the nose.

Anyway, the plan is to make the hole on the passenger side where some wiring goes in the nose large enough to fit the intercooler piping through (see pic #2). From there, it's going to have a very careful bend up to the throttle body (next to the alternator) where it will couple to a silicone adaptor and then to the TB.

The driver's side of the operation appears to be a bit easier, as I am going to remove the stock intercooler, and just need to make a hole right next to where it once was (as in pic #3). I could utilize the factory turbo outlet rubber/metal hose, but I will probably end up making my own out of 2 1/4" aluminized exhaust piping and silicone couplers.

EDIT:
As for A/C, I am using an '89 minivan condenser, and my radiator is a new T2 unit. I am most likely going to switch both the radiator back to a LARGE T1 unit, and condenser back to stock; now that the factory IC is out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the IC mocked up on the Daytona today. Pics will follow soon.

Surprisingly VERY easy to fit in the nose. All I needed to do was (as seen on previous posts) to enlarge the hole (in the pic above) on the passenger side, and make a hole on the driver's side (also in the pic above). The SRT4 intercooler slid right up in there like it was meant to fit in there.

For the plumbing on the passenger side (intercooler discharge), I'm going to do a 90 straight down towards the ground (right in front of the alternator pulley), do another 90 towards the driver's side under the front motor mount, a 90 straight up, and another 90 to the throttle body. Easy.

The plumbing on the driver's side (turbo discharge to intercooler) I could utilize the stock over the transaxle tube/hose, but I'm going to make my own out of 2 1/4" OD piping and 2 1/4" ID rubber hose couplers, and attach it to the SRT4 intercooler with the oval shaped end.

Any comments, suggestions, or anything else? :cool:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I used the TI full size aluminum aftermarket rad sliding it over by making custom brackets with my tripple core, had to cut and then wrap the sheet metal of the support to allow the pipes to fit,

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Interesting IC tubing...very "Industrial" looking...what are they made of?? Looks like a complx welding going on...also, a question; If you went to the trouble of hacking up the front of the car, and adding an IC, then why a stocker? The ones everyone says dont flow well, or well enough?? Curious...I will be ICíng one of my SHelby´s after snow skiing season is over, so in February...a gy told me that the Turbo T-bird IC flows better than a stock DOdge one...anyone ever heard that? The Ford SVO ones are the cheapest of all online...and the my Daytons wont be getting a Kenworth/Iveco IC anytime soon... somebody pipe in on that Ford vs Dodge question...Nice clean pics! Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
760 Posts
desertsnake1991 said:
Interesting IC tubing...very "Industrial" looking...what are they made of?? Looks like a complx welding going on...also, a question; If you went to the trouble of hacking up the front of the car, and adding an IC, then why a stocker? The ones everyone says dont flow well, or well enough?? Curious...I will be ICíng one of my SHelby´s after snow skiing season is over, so in February...a gy told me that the Turbo T-bird IC flows better than a stock DOdge one...anyone ever heard that? The Ford SVO ones are the cheapest of all online...and the my Daytons wont be getting a Kenworth/Iveco IC anytime soon... somebody pipe in on that Ford vs Dodge question...Nice clean pics! Thanks, Jim
Intercooler piping is all aluminum mandrel bends custom fabricated by J&R Fabrication, that ain't no stocker IC BTW its a Tripple core TII IC(roughly 1000cfm with less than 1psi boost drop) with custom 2.5in/out end tanks and polished aluminum elbows, also the IC is bolted in not welded and doesn't budge.

In the first pic you can see a Thunder Coupe IC. . .

www.monster-turbo.com

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
sweet tripple core! :thumb:
wouldnt you rather have a longer turbo to i/c hose/piping than i/c to tb piping?
less chance of picking up engine bay temps on metal piping to tb. ? i put a small npr up high in front of the rad in a tona. see cardomain for picts if interested.
i think i have a total of 2 90 degree turns and 2 45 dergee.
plenty of room in the tona. :D
adam

·
Registered
760 Posts
^^Thanks bud! The lower pipe is 2in, why? Velocity, less lag! That upper pipe is ice cold with the motor idling at 180* for a few minutes, just think what happens when I'm moving

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got the SRT4 IC sort of in there. I am going to have to have some aluminum mounting tabs welded on to the bottom on each end of the IC to mount it to the bottom of the radiator support. The plumbing was a breeze; I used rubber couplers and elbows, and cut my own 2 1/4" aluminized steel pipe.

I took it for a test drive (intercooler fastened by a bungee cord) and all I can say is WOW! What a difference in power right off the bat, compared to the stock VNT intercooler. Boost went up 2 psi automatically (I have it set at 12 psi for now until I break the engine in; and it went up to 14 psi), and the pull of the car now is incredible. I'm surprised at how much better this intercooler is than the VNT one.

Also, while reading a thread on the dyno tests of the stock airbox vs. K&N open element cone filter, I decided to put my stock airbox back on (with a K&N drop in of course). Car is a bit quieter, but the factory cold air induction system will work better than the open element sucking in all the hot underhood air.

I will have those tabs welded on hopefully this Monday, and I will then snap some pics of the install!

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Desertrsnake,

The stockers flow just fine and they cool fine. They are just too small for anything over 250 hp. Multiple stockers is a great I/c

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Has anyone mounted a SRT intercooler in a newer TI 2.5 daytona. I was looking at mine and with the larger stock radiator I don't have anywhere to go with the hoses. I may end up with a stock IC up front in my 91 and put the SRT unit in my 87.

Benji Farr
Green Bay WI
87 Shelby Z TII 15.2 @ 90.7
88 Shelby Z TI 2.2 auto
91 Shelby TI 2.5 5spd
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
http://www.extremepsi.org

1 - 20 of 36 Posts