Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Starion intercooler from a guy and he said it was fitted for a shadow.I"m thinking it must have been a T2,I have a 89 2.2 T1.What do you guys think?? How do I make this work. I'm adding pics,thanks for the help.....yet again!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Looks like you wiil need a t2 radiator to pass through the pipes where the t2 ic goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You've got you work cut out for you. I installed the same intercooler on my wifes 89 daytona. First, relocate the radiator to the right slightly. One of the bottom rad brackets( I can't remember which one) has to be relocated, the other has two mounting holes. After I did this, I later replaced the radiator with a Griffin. Use a turbo Acclaim rad fan(flatter). I then removed the coolant bottle and relocated the battery to the rear. You will see 2 holes to the left of the radiator, that's were you will route the intercooler piping. The intercooler is mounted high in the nose at an angle with the long pipe running right to left along the bottom. I have a pipe bender so i was able to make all the piping. The stock air cleaner was also removed and an Amsoil cone filter was used with 3" pipng to the turbo. The new air cleaner is mounted where the old battery box was. I also used a coolant catch can mounted on the left side of the head for coolant recovery. If I can wrestle the car from my wife I'll shoot some pictures and post them. Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help gang.Yeah,any pics would be helpful.Thanks again for the time and ideas....

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
though it isnt the easiest thing to do, you can intercool a 2.5 (which im guessing you have if your car is an 89) T1 and retain the factory size radiator in its location. you just have to get friendly with the grinder and sawzall....Here's a link to my install in my baron....with the inlet and outlet on the same end like your starion intercooler is setup though, it would be even tougher...

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f17/129665-finally-got-pics-intercooler-lebaron.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the hood sticker,the car has a 2.2 in it.At least thats what parts I have been buying.Lebaronguy...Thanks for the reply.My bov flange looks similar IMO,Is that a DSM bov.Not sure what to buy for BOV.Want a RFL but its my winter/fun car,building on budget.Have $700 in whole project so far.Thanks again.If I can make this thing work,I will be posting pics and documenting how to.....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
huh, if its a 2.2, then your car should be an 88. cause in 89, the only 2.2 turbo would be a T2.....hmm....odd. anyway, yes its a BOV from a first gen talon with an aluminum flange welded to the intercooler piping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems odd doesn't it.But if you look at the pic of the car it is blue with the bottom gray underside.I had read that trim package started in 89.Just got it licensed,so I don't have the title back yet,curious to see what it says.Thought that was a DSM,Do you think that is what mine is.Wonder how it will sound compared to stock one....Love that blow off.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
it could be, the flange looks like it might be for one. would have to see the bov to be sure..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts