Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the Daytona yesterday, and noticed the top starter wire coming from the (+) battery cable is loose.

There's a bolt that runs from the starter motor, and it connects the cable bracket (L shaped piece of metal) to the starter motor. That bolt is loose, and can be moved around. I couldn't tighten the nut on the bolt due to rust, and being in a super awkward position.

I know this is whats causing intermittent starting failure in my car. I just can't get a good angle on that nut from underneath.

Perhaps I should bring it to a mechanic and have him hoist the car, he'd be able to get a way better angle. Am I going to pay much money for this though?

I need to fix it before winter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the problem. The plastic cap on the starter solenoid has cracked, allowing the cable to become loose, and come out.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
so new solenoid fixed it? I think they are around $40.
Oh and put a starter shield on that thing, probably got melted. Pretty common problem with the turbo being there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crazy -

I can just replace the noid? Won't have to replace the starter? Where's the best place to buy? Dodge dealership? I've hear the Autozone replacements are junk.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Don't know the best place to get, most replacement parts are junk nowadays anyway. Try napa.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was talking to my buddy Luke (swiftech) and he said the easiest way to replace the starter (car is an '88 Shelby Z Daytona) would be to drop the passenger side axel, free up some room, and go about it that way.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I was talking to my buddy Luke (swiftech) and he said the easiest way to replace the starter (car is an '88 Shelby Z Daytona) would be to drop the passenger side axel, free up some room, and go about it that way.

Your thoughts?
When I replaced my clutch I took the R/S shaft out before going after the starter. I also took off the turbo bracket. It does give you alot more room.
Tim

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
remove the pass side wheel and get a long ass extension on there. Air tools help too ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts